Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Best Top Safari Bikini Top JK Unlimited Install

Old 06-17-2007, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Top Safari Bikini Top JK Unlimited Install

Got a Best Top Safari style Bikini Top for my JK Unlimited 4door.

Install on this is dead easy but when you go to buy one, don't forget, you'll need the rail kit to install this top - it's sold seperately.

Since instructions are pretty straight forward, I'll just mention a few small tips:

The tiny screws used for the rail latch assembly are very weak. Don't overtighten them! They will break.

Lay the bikini top over the vehichle in full sun for 20 minutes prior to installing. This will soften it up and make the whole process go much smoother. It should be at least 72 degrees outside - warmer is better.

If you have door frames on, just slip the plastic guide into the channels used for your soft top. Don't worry about the velcro fasteners. You'll only need to use these as back up - some will need to be hidden. They have little function.

For those with out door frames (doors removed), you will need the velcro to wrap around the roll cage - an even easier install!

After the install, I road tested the top and got a very pronounced "flap" of the cover against the center bar. At highway speeds, its almost impossible to talk over.

Here's my $1.19 fix: 3/4" pipe insulation. Lowes sells this in a six foot section. Its a round piece of hollow foam meant to go around a 3/4 inch pipe. Its black or "graphite" in color and matches my black over grey interior perfectly. It looks like a very skinny "fun noodle."

[IMG][/IMG]

I stuffed the entire six foot section up under the top and fit it into the groove formed at the front of the center bar where the plastic speaker housing sits just forward of the roll cage. The tension of the top keeps it in place and the tube is barely noticicable under the top. At 60 miles an hour, the "flapping" is completely eliminated. The roof slope is now similar to that of the regular soft top.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Enjoy!

Last edited by Jeep JK; 06-19-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know you're working on it...but,

Old 06-19-2007, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Default I said I was working on it...

Pics posted
Old 06-19-2007, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks!

Looks like a quick and painless flapping fix.

Hope my top comes soon. Ordered last month and called last week to find out where it is only to be told its on backorder...thanks for letting me know that when I ordered it
Old 06-19-2007, 07:22 PM
JK Super Freak

A pool noodle from the dollar store works just as good and was cheaper at a whopping total of $1.06. It fit like it was made to go there. The only thing is this will not work if you have your doors off. There is something about the wind tunnel effect that snatches the noodle out and causes much great sorrow, suprise and panic to the occupants and driver when this happens. Trust me I know this from experience thus me not posting about it because I figure it is a neat idea just ends in a bad way.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default Stray noodles!

That explains the occasional stray noodle I see along the freeways here... I thought maybe people just like to travel with them.

Quick fix #2: 36 inch Velcro straps from home depot: They cost $5.00 for a set of two but they give you enough material to wrap a noodle of your favorite color and size to the roll bar. Still cheaper than buying a pool toy every outing...
Old 06-20-2007, 03:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jeep JK
That explains the occasional stray noodle I see along the freeways here... I thought maybe people just like to travel with them.

Quick fix #2: 36 inch Velcro straps from home depot: They cost $5.00 for a set of two but they give you enough material to wrap a noodle of your favorite color and size to the roll bar. Still cheaper than buying a pool toy every outing...
That would work. But it irks me that I would have to do all of the above to fix an item that cost me about $150 with shipping. When I put the doors back on in fall and am still running the Safari top I will do the velcro thing as we have that in the project cabnet. Funny thing is with the doors off the top flapping is not even noticable LOL.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default I can't believe it...

You didn't say that stretching the safari top into the door frame pieces is one of the hardest things you have ever done. It sure is for me. Takes a lot of the fun out of it. Even when warm (90 degrees plus) it still is a knucklebuster. Maybe my top is on the snug side. I envisioned putting it up and down in minutes when needed due to rain, but I only put it on when I need to. The stock soft top is far superior for convenience since it goes up and down easily.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by gerryc
You didn't say that stretching the safari top into the door frame pieces is one of the hardest things you have ever done. It sure is for me. Takes a lot of the fun out of it. Even when warm (90 degrees plus) it still is a knucklebuster. Maybe my top is on the snug side. I envisioned putting it up and down in minutes when needed due to rain, but I only put it on when I need to. The stock soft top is far superior for convenience since it goes up and down easily.
Mine is a 5 min on or off by myself and maybe 2 min with help. I think the reason is I don't have the channels I replaced my hard top with the safari top and all I have to do is strap and velcro. That might be the way to go if you want quick on and off. Of course I do not know how hard it is to remove and replace the channels so the choice is up to you.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default S - T - R - E - T - C - H!

Yeah, mine was a little "snug" too. I don't think these are all cut to exacting specs.

Good thing they do stretch over time.

Give it a once around the beltway and it should be all stretched out or stop by Great Falls and say hello to my old stomping grounds.

By the way, this Bikini is not great for rain... I gave mine a quick hose off last night and water collects in the middle area between the windshield and roll bar. Since I was parked at a slight angle, the water poured inside the door frame on the passenger side, following the path created by the velcro straps.
Nice!

Without door frames, this probably would not be as bad but its definitely not meant for heavy rain. Good thing I live in LA where it rains for ten minutes twice a year followed by 11 months of fire season.

Quick Reply: Best Top Safari Bikini Top JK Unlimited Install