Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

blacked the inside of my hardtop duplicolor truck bed liner

Old 10-31-2007, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reply

looks good....is that a homemade top holder or did u buy that?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I love the look over the white. It did not cost a lot to do just very time consuming. It was a long proccess , it was mostly in the prep work. Good prep = good results. I agree the top should come like this from factory. Once this is cured this stuff seems to be unscratchable, so I am thinking next spring I will do the out side of the top with this stuff, It is way better then the paint that is on the top now. That paint can scratch off with my finger nail. Its like it was not prepped good from the factory that the paint will not stick. With this stuff you would brake your finger before you scratched it off. I can't really comment on road noise or insulation because I really never had my top on since I have had it. It came off the morning after it came home and has not been on since, but with the temps dropping it will be on by the end of the week. The top holder was home made, very easy to make and was under $40 to make.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

If this looks like too much work, what about just taking it to LineX? It couldn't cost too much. It's just not that large of an area.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Genesis
If this looks like too much work, what about just taking it to LineX? It couldn't cost too much. It's just not that large of an area.
It's not the size of the area, it's the prep work involved. There's a lot of work there.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikeyfl
thats how it should look from the dealer!

nice job.
+ 1
Old 10-31-2007, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eaglemikeo
Once you put your top on, please let us know if it helps with insulation/road noise, etc.
I'd like to know about this as well. I'd also assume if your windows were tinted, they'd look darker, no?

Last edited by vaughnJK; 10-31-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:56 PM
JK Junkie

Sweet work! I just picked up a hardtop from basement monster in huntington beach and this looks like a great idea....thanks!
Old 10-31-2007, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-RUBIJON
...Once this is cured this stuff seems to be unscratchable, so I am thinking next spring I will do the out side of the top with this stuff, It is way better then the paint that is on the top now. That paint can scratch off with my finger nail.
The top holder was home made, very easy to make and was under $40 to make.
Thats just what I was going to ask about... the exterior. I can see I've scratched mine up just from sitting in the basement.

I do like the top holder, I've got one drawn very similar to it.

Now for additional questions...
How well does it fit after the lining has been put on. Is there any misalignment from the hard top sitting on the Jeep? What about the twist knobs on the two smaller panels, does the extra thickness from the bedliner get in the way? Finally, when you were doing the prep work, did you remove the twist knobs, or leave them in... and did you put the liner in where the twist knobs go?

Thanks again for your input.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Genesis
yeah more prep work and time then cost. line- x cost 5 times as much to do this.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eaglemikeo
Thats just what I was going to ask about... the exterior. I can see I've scratched mine up just from sitting in the basement.

I do like the top holder, I've got one drawn very similar to it.

Now for additional questions...
How well does it fit after the lining has been put on. Is there any misalignment from the hard top sitting on the Jeep? What about the twist knobs on the two smaller panels, does the extra thickness from the bedliner get in the way? Finally, when you were doing the prep work, did you remove the twist knobs, or leave them in... and did you put the liner in where the twist knobs go?

Thanks again for your input.
I did not do the part of the top that would sit on the rails of the jeep, I left the very bottom alone. I did the rails on the jeep though and it looks great, no scratching. The fitment , I do not see to be a problem. As for all the holes that you twist the knob in , I believe it was a bolt on the panel that I masked off. Anything That could come off or masked I did.

Quick Reply: blacked the inside of my hardtop duplicolor truck bed liner