Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

BOTTLE JACKS – mitigating the danger element on the trail !!

Old 04-28-2017, 10:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinlee
I use one of these. Got it for 35$ at tractor supply. Actually have 4 it make tire rotations easy.
That does look handy for having around the garage. I get so tired of jacking and then sliding a stand under it. I don't see those on TS's website. Maybe something you purchased long ago? The etrailer ones look pricier than you mention.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use one of these. Got it for 35$ at tractor supply. Actually have 4 it make tire rotations easy.
ya, I've seen those. I thought it was a very cool jack and was my original approach before finding what i posted in this thread. it looked like it got mixed reviews on Amazon...some loved it and it worked great others complained of all the hydraulic fluid leaking out of it before they used it. looks like you're one of the guys who got a good one and love it. That is awesome!

My buddy bought one and put it in his jeep. a few months later, we were offroading and another buddy punctured a tire. he pulled that jack out and found that the back of his jeep was covered in hydraulic fluid and the jack didn't work.

not bashing your jack...cuz they do look super cool and make sense. Just a heads up to check your jack to make sure you didn't get one from the lots that were leaking. needless to say, my buddy wasn't excited about his circumstance. #couldhappentoanyone
Old 04-28-2017, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
That does look handy for having around the garage. I get so tired of jacking and then sliding a stand under it. I don't see those on TS's website. Maybe something you purchased long ago? The etrailer ones look pricier than you mention.
looks like it is $56 on amazon right now. read all the 1 star ratings though. 27 people gave it 1 star for failing. again, 400+ people bought it so it's a small population of 1 stars...the kind of luck i have, i would have gotten the broken ones. :-)
Old 04-28-2017, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I use those in my garage as well. Really like them.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
No plasma cutter. A reciprocating saw and a Lincoln welder from Lowes (which is has been used for bunches of stuff).

That said, the $10 worth of steel actually got me 1 foot of DOM and 1 foot of C channel and I made 4 of these adapters (gave the other three to friends).

I think they have a good idea, but I don't see their 12 ton bottle jack 'kit' being worth $279.
I still use the one you made me all the time! Everyone who sees me using it always asks where I got it from!
Old 04-30-2017, 09:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but here's a good option for those who don't have the tools/skills to fabricate something.

Bottle Jack Axle Cradle
Old 05-01-2017, 07:09 AM
Huk
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For that jack stand combo:
Tractor supply does have them. Just picked up a second. First one has been fine for about three years.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg

Honestly, the Harbor Freight isn't a bad welder and it's good to start with because it's like $100. (the trick is to use Lincoln flux wire in it) The HB welder is still working, though I moved to the Lincoln.
I know I'm a bit off topic but
+1 on the sentiments about the HF welder... I picked one up and have made tons of stuff ( fire pit, 2.5 gal air tank box for under jeep, nutstrip for my old xj,) and the thing has done well.. Are the welds pretty? Hell no but it's given me confidence to do more stuff and know that I can do this black magic for small projects

Quick Reply: BOTTLE JACKS – mitigating the danger element on the trail !!