Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Budget Caster Adjustment

Old 05-25-2008, 06:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsword
Renegade,

As I discussed in the thread, there are tabs on the outsides of both control arm axle brackets, fore and aft, or a tab in front and a tab behind the hole. The bracket fits tightly between those tabs and also the bolt\nut holds them from slipping out of the tabs.

I hope I answered your question!
I like it. This seems better than the cam bolts to me. I am eventually going to change to a fully adjustable lift so I'm not ready for arms yet. How much to cut me some?
Old 05-25-2008, 06:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKRUBI
I like it. This seems better than the cam bolts to me. I am eventually going to change to a fully adjustable lift so I'm not ready for arms yet. How much to cut me some?
It could actually end up being better than the cam bolts. You could actually make several different square washers with the holes in a little different location to fine tune the caster. An alignment machine would be handy to see where you were, though.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Freak

Looks like a good idea.

Couple of questions thou, how is it that these spacers keep the axle in place. I s there a tab in them that I'm not seeing?

Now, if you get rid of the front notch, the idea being to move the axle slightly forward to increase the camber angle, wouldn't it be an easier idea to jam a metal block of some sort or something in there to keep it from shifting back?
Old 05-26-2008, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big D2
Looks like a good idea.

Couple of questions thou, how is it that these spacers keep the axle in place. I s there a tab in them that I'm not seeing?

Now, if you get rid of the front notch, the idea being to move the axle slightly forward to increase the camber angle, wouldn't it be an easier idea to jam a metal block of some sort or something in there to keep it from shifting back?
Please re-read the write-up and my other responses concerning the explanation on the tabs that are built into the control arm brackets.

You could cut a piece of metal to fit in the slot, I guess, but you'd have to be sure to weld it in place to keep it from falling out due to vibration.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

..Got ya, mus have been sleeping.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2008, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Talking Sweet!

This is an amwesome mod

Since I don't have laser weld and water jets and all that James Bond stuff available to me, how would you reccomend I make my own pieces?

TY in advance and thanks again for the cool idea
Old 06-11-2008, 01:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dubya
This is an amwesome mod

Since I don't have laser weld and water jets and all that James Bond stuff available to me, how would you reccomend I make my own pieces?

TY in advance and thanks again for the cool idea
Or like I stated earlier, how much to cut some of us some?
Old 06-11-2008, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nukeman
One question, did you remove the OEM star (retaining) washers from your wheel lugs prior to installing your new wheels? If your new wheels have a flat rear surface around the lug openings, those whashers won't let your wheels mount flush against your rotors. This will cause a wobble, like having really unbalanced tires.
Not to sound dumb, but what are these? Sounds like blinker fluid. I did my lift, added wheel spacers, finally got new wheels/tires and I have never seen these.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by element981
Not to sound dumb, but what are these? Sounds like blinker fluid. I did my lift, added wheel spacers, finally got new wheels/tires and I have never seen these.
No, it's not a muffler bearing, they're real and they're there. Did you put wheels and tires on or have someone do it? It just a little washer that will be on one of the wheel studs.

Originally Posted by BLKRUBI
Or like I stated earlier, how much to cut some of us some?

Due to no resonse, twice, I guess you are not interested in making any for anyone, dsword?

Last edited by BLKRUBI; 06-18-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:29 PM
jpp
JK Enthusiast

Default New Angle???

dsword, Do you happen to know what the new Castor angle is as a result of this mod? You said you were looking for 7deg. Did you achieve that much angle? I like this mod a lot. Cheap and effective.

Quick Reply: Budget Caster Adjustment