Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Centerforce Clutch Install Write-Up

Old 11-16-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've been doing some running around in the jeep and wanted to post an update. Everything is still going well.

The clutch pedal is a bit firmer (after I topped off the reservoir ).

The clutch plate is noticeably grippier. I have 37s and 5.38s so I rarely use first gear in town, I typically start in second. With the stock clutch I could engage around 1200-1500 rpm and gas into the power band. Now the Centerforce plate grabs hard at 1200 and drops the rpms drastically. I have stalled a few times when I'm not paying attention.

Overall very happy. I just need to re-learn the feel of the new clutch. It is less forgiving at low rpms.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BadPunkin
So I've been doing some running around in the jeep and wanted to post an update. Everything is still going well.

The clutch pedal is a bit firmer (after I topped off the reservoir ).

The clutch plate is noticeably grippier. I have 37s and 5.38s so I rarely use first gear in town, I typically start in second. With the stock clutch I could engage around 1200-1500 rpm and gas into the power band. Now the Centerforce plate grabs hard at 1200 and drops the rpms drastically. I have stalled a few times when I'm not paying attention.

Overall very happy. I just need to re-learn the feel of the new clutch. It is less forgiving at low rpms.
Are you 100% sure the clutch is installed corectly?

The description of how the clutch is reacting would indicate an improperly adjusted clutch.

I will most likly be doing this to my jeep this summer so this write up is my only current guide.

I have yet to do a clutch on a JK

Keep us posted and thanks for the write up
Old 01-25-2012, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

EXCEPTIONAL write up!
Thanks!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

my clutch went at about 85,000 km. I installed the Center Force. Best mod I have ever done hands down. hardly even the same Jeep. Hooks up strong, way better pedal feel, a pleasure to drive now. No clutch slip anymore, can be way low RPM and it holds strong.

The only thing I would add to this is really consider buying a new fly wheel they are cheap for the jeeps in comparison to other makes of vehicles. Mating a new clutch to a new flywheel ensures a good long life for both components.

Great write up.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marmot mb
my clutch went at about 85,000 km. I installed the Center Force. Best mod I have ever done hands down. hardly even the same Jeep. Hooks up strong, way better pedal feel, a pleasure to drive now. No clutch slip anymore, can be way low RPM and it holds strong.

The only thing I would add to this is really consider buying a new fly wheel they are cheap for the jeeps in comparison to other makes of vehicles. Mating a new clutch to a new flywheel ensures a good long life for both components.

Great write up.
Where's the best place for a new flywheel? part numbers?

Last edited by scononie; 02-07-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up
Old 03-10-2012, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great write up. Thank you.

Question about the slave cylinder.... I have an '08 2dr with 3.73s and 120K miles on teh original clutch. No real problems except for the pedal grabbing high and some clicking noises but that's been happening for tens of thousands of miles. Nevertheless, I called the dealership to inquire on what it woudl cost to change the clutch because it's my daily driver and I may want to do it just as preventive maintenance ($1,583.00 without a new flywheel). I asked about using a Centerforce in place of the OEM and he said that it would cause problems because it was a stiffer clutch and that would cause problems with the slave cylinder. He couldn't explain it further. Have you had any issues with the slave cylinder since you installed the Cenetrforce? Any idea what that guy was talking about or is it just standard dealer jibberish?
Old 03-10-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

I have not had any issues since the install (6000 miles so far). I can't speak to the dealer, but I can tell you that when I called Centerforce they told me they don't make a JK clutch. So it would seem that Centerforce and Jeep haven't figured it out. On top of that the slave cylinder is around $80 and can easily be replaced in your driveway. I'm not saying you should just eat the cost of a slave cylinder, but the Centerforce is a much nicer clutch than the stock. It is a heavy clutch for the JK, but grabs great and I haven't had any issues.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have over a 1000 miles on my new clutch and it's huge improvement over the stock. The power it puts to the wheels is great, the clutch pedal is easier but firm and when I let out the clutch, its a very smooth catch.
The slave cylinder has no issues with this clutch and if it does go, its a simple replacement.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you pm with the contact info on where your bought your moog throw out bearing?
Or preferably a link I looked at NAPA witch I assume is what you meant by national?

Thanks

Last edited by rexicon; 03-14-2012 at 02:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Centerforce Clutch Install Write-Up