Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Cheap, Easy Hardtop Hanger / Storage Solution

Old 03-31-2007, 08:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap, Easy Hardtop Hanger / Storage Solution

So I was at Home Depot yesterday gathering all the parts to build a nice hoist and platform for storage of my hard top, and a few things occurred to me.

1) I am not going to be taking my hard top on and off that much.

2) I only have an 8' garage ceiling, and If I built a hoist and platform, it is going to be hanging lower than I prefer and taking up too much space. I wouldn't be able to raise the hood on whichever Jeep is parked on that side of the garage. I also would not be able to back into that parking spot because the platform would be too low.

3) I really didn't want to spend $100 or more building one.

Browsing around the garage storage area, I found some "J" hook style hangers for $4.96 each. I bought 2 of them.

I had some 2x4 lumber at home. I took a 16' 2x4 and cut it in half, making two 8' sections. I measured the portion of the hardtop from the rear wiper down to the door opening area, then added a few inches. This gave me a good measurement, so I mounted the hangers 48" down from the ceiling, measured from the ceiling to the top of the hanger where the 2x4 would be sitting on.

I found the location I wanted the 1st hanger, found the closest stud, then measured over 80" to mount the other hanger (making sure a stud was in that location also.)

I used an old comforter to put between the hardtop and the wall. I had also considered using a piece of foam insulation like you use on the outside walls of a house to mount on the wall. The 2x4's supporting the top make a great spot to sit the front freedom top panels, and hanging it on that wall this way takes up a lot less room than hoisting it up and hanging it from the ceiling. It also only cost me $10 since I already had the 16' 2x4.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was wondering where I would put my hard top as well since my garage is a lot like yours (not very tall).

Your ideas is a GREAT one! I may have to do the same thing since I'll only remove and store the hard top once (for the late spring/summer/early fall months).

Anyway, I don't have a JK yet, but will hopefully by June/July. Also, I'll be getting the Bestop hard top aftermarket rather than the freedom top.

Thanks so much for sharing!
Old 03-31-2007, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmm I Like that!! I have no room in my garage though. Maybe I can just store it in my basement.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:15 PM
JK Junkie

Great idea RedRockJK. Now it looks like you'll have to make another one!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default hard top storage

best and simplest one i've seen yet.

well done red!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 05:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Good idea. Any chance of the top falling forward? or did you secure it in some way?
Old 04-01-2007, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Robar
Good idea. Any chance of the top falling forward? or did you secure it in some way?
I'm not concerned about it falling forward, but if you wanted to, you could attach a couple of small eye hooks on the wall towards the top of the top, and run some appropriate length bungee cords from the top to the eye hook. I believe that would be enough to prevent even an accidental tipping. It's really pretty secure the way it is.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a similar garage config with low ceilings, and I don't think I can use that much wall space.

Has anyone hung their freedom top from the roof, normal orientation, but backwards? That way you could have it hang so that you could drive in and have the freedom top over the hood area. Maybe even drive in backwards to install/uninstall it by lowering it onto the body.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:09 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want two JK's in my garage
Old 04-12-2007, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ColoradoJeep06
I have a similar garage config with low ceilings, and I don't think I can use that much wall space.

Has anyone hung their freedom top from the roof, normal orientation, but backwards? That way you could have it hang so that you could drive in and have the freedom top over the hood area. Maybe even drive in backwards to install/uninstall it by lowering it onto the body.
I recently came up with a pretty nice solution that raises and lowers easily that ended up costing around $60 by the time it was all said and done with parts coming from your local home depot and harbor freight store. Not quite the $20 dollar solution others have posted using ratchet straps, but it works much smoother and is still significantly cheaper than the $200 lange hoist. I have been meaning to post it to this site for all to behold in its wonderful glory. Look for a new thread coming in a week or so with pictures.

Quick Reply: Cheap, Easy Hardtop Hanger / Storage Solution