Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Clutch and TOB Replacement - Lessons Learned and Info

Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did lube everything. Though I didn't replace it due to advice that it was more trouble than it was worth...I hope not to own it long enough to find out I was wrong!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the write up
Old 04-19-2019, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

Default Fantastic information!

I just wanted to comment on how this is a fantastic writeup! Thank you for the info!

I had a similar experience, and this thread and others online definitely made it easier. As I posted on another site, here are some of my notes, just FYI:

- Removing the transfer case prior to removing the transmission helped greatly and made it easier to manage
- I replaced a leaking rear main seal while I had the flywheel off at a machine shop getting refinished...might be something to consider based on the age of your Jeep while you're already in there.
- As many suggested, I replaced the TOB and pilot bearing while I had everything apart.
- It's a great opportunity to use some aluminum tape to repair the heat shielding that sits between the transmission and the main body.
- As someone else mentioned, taking some long bolts and grinding the heads off to use as a guide when reinstalling the transmission makes it much easier to align everything when you put it back together.
- I also took this opportunity to replace the upper and lower oil pan gaskets, since I had everything apart since the upper was leaking (which i've heard is common on some JK models)
- Replaced the slave cylinder as well, along with a rusty hydraulic line from the slave to the master.

I still can't believe how well the clutch feels after replacing everything, and how smooth it shifts. It was a lot of work, but I have a much better understanding of how this part of my Jeep works and I definitely saved myself some cash doing it in my garage.

Best of luck, and thank you again to everyone who posted on here!

Old 04-20-2021, 05:17 AM
JK Newbie

Has anyone done this and measure the washers, the numbers below don't work out for me.
The bolt is 9.4mm or .370in so a .6mm ID wont fit ... or am I looking at putting this in the wrong place ?
The OD of the cupped washer is 22.7mm or .89in
I'm assuming I Need a washer similar to these dimensions but want to confirm the 2.25mm x 2 thickness is correct spacing.

Originally Posted by jmanscotch
Here is what I received as washers that relate to TSB 06-002-07:

Washer Thickness: 2.25 MM Each (two needed)
Washer ID: 0.6 MM
Washer OD: 7.8 MM

- Jake
Old 04-20-2021, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

Fourwide. Did you just go to the Mopar dealer and ask them what you need? I would as it is a long trip if you have to go in again.

Quick Reply: Clutch and TOB Replacement - Lessons Learned and Info