Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

D44 SOLID Diff Cover Install w/pics

Old 01-20-2010, 12:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice write up! i love these covers!!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice write up. Thank you so much for taking the time. I sure I can do mine now.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

You're welcome! I'm glad I did my front cover the next day, I was still pissed about the rear cover not seating right the first time.

When you're working by yourself, holding a 15-20lb diff cover, taking pictures, holding lubelocker in place, and trying to seat it correctly with the wrong hardware things get really frustrating really fast

The front was a lot easier, my brother could hold the cover and take pictures while I bolted.

I also dropped the jeep into 4-lo and locked both axles, took it in the giant hole in our yard and full flexed it out. Couldn't hear any scraping issues with the e-locker's engaged so I guess I did the grinding correctly.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default Good time

Originally Posted by runit3
On the front diff I kept all the stock hardware besides the fill plug and it took me ~1 hour. The rear took me 2 hours because I was working alone and struggled with the aftermarket screws before going back to the stock ones.

If you prep all of your tools and grind the diffs before hand, the draining, cleaning, and re-torquing only takes about 45min.

All this being said I would block out at least 3 hours of your day just to make sure everything gets done right...This is not the install to cheat on because of time.

Thats a pretty good time, with this cover did you refill the same amount of oil? or is more or less than the stock?. because the size of the new cover.

Nice write up!!!!!

thank you!!.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

I filled both axles to manual spec's. 2.375 Quarts. I accidentally filled my front diff to 2.5 quarts and it spewed oil out of the breather tube. I drained out ~1/10 of a quart and it's fine now.

Even with new diff covers of a larger volume to spec or .1Q over is fine. The oil line should come up to @ least mid-axle height. People have posted various threads on how to measure the oil height once it is inside the diff, but factory spec has worked out great for the SOLID covers.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

I filled both axles to manual spec's. 2.375 Quarts. I accidentally filled my front diff to 2.5 quarts and it spewed oil out of the breather tube. I drained out ~1/10 of a quart and it's fine now.

Even with new diff covers of a larger volume to spec or .1Q over is fine. The oil line should come up to @ least mid-axle height. People have posted various threads on how to measure the oil height once it is inside the diff, but factory spec has worked out great for the SOLID covers.
Hey!! Thanks for all the information runit3.

Now a can change my covers, i bought the ARB covers.

Have a nice day!!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

Solid has these on their website for $64 each.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by roketman
Solid has these on their website for $64 each.
YEP! that's why I got them (and I knew SOLID was reputable). I guess over the holidays the boss sold the company to the engineer. I would assume he's getting rid of back-stock making room for new designs? either way 2 for the price of 1 was a deal I couldn't pass up.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read (some) of those threads before I started, and a majority of them that broke were using the aftermarket grade 8 hardware (some allen size, some socket) that were supplied w/their diff covers.

I kept my stock hardware because when I took it off it was actually torqued to 40+ft.lbs (I didn't torque it, dealer must have). I knew they could handle the load before I tightened them. Yes they could have still broken but finding 1/2" socket screws with locks in my neighborhood is a lot easier than finding obscure grade 8 allen size screws.

Thanks for the comment though, I'll add a disclaimer.
Great write up BTW
I am going to put my Riddlers on this weekend
Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by myklt8
Great write up BTW
I am going to put my Riddlers on this weekend
Riddlers were my first choice, but I saw SOLIDS sale, they're fairly similar designs.

Quick Reply: D44 SOLID Diff Cover Install w/pics