JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Write-Ups (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/)
-   -   DIY Interior Cargo Rack (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/diy-interior-cargo-rack-304811/)

wrangler311 07-06-2014 08:39 AM

Great idea! I am going to do this. For the area's you cut on the rack and the metal tubing, what did you use to cap the ends?

A'sJK 07-06-2014 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by wrangler311 (Post 3943938)
Great idea! I am going to do this. For the area's you cut on the rack and the metal tubing, what did you use to cap the ends?

Thanks! I used 3/4" plastic furniture end caps. They are located in the odds and ends hardware drawers in Lowes. I think I may have snapped a photo...if so I'll post it.

Jeepstin12 07-06-2014 05:51 PM

Pretty sweet! Been looking at low cost options myself. Thanks for the write up!

wrangler08jk 07-07-2014 05:33 AM

Looks awesome will be doing this soon but for soft top. Wife stole the jeep with hardtop lol

DGriz 07-07-2014 08:06 AM

This is exactly what I've been wanting to do. Now I just need to find one of those HF coupons.

YD215 07-07-2014 08:54 AM

My rack is about to come in the mail. Can you take some better pictures of how you bolted it to the hardtop. You had to drill new holes to secure it to the hardtop? Thanks for the post yours looks really good.

A'sJK 07-07-2014 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by YD215 (Post 3944507)
My rack is about to come in the mail. Can you take some better pictures of how you bolted it to the hardtop. You had to drill new holes to secure it to the hardtop? Thanks for the post yours looks really good.

I initially wanted to use the existing holes for the hardtop attachment but their location prevents a straight bar on the holes nearest the back seat. In order to keep the rack design simpler I just drilled 4 new holes in the hardtop and tub rail. Just be mindfull of the wire loom under each lip of the tub on each side. The rack support rails are attached by a thumscrew knobs and flange bolts. If running a soft top just unscrew the 4 thumbscrews knobs and the rack is removed entirely. If running a hardtop use the 4 thumbscrew knobs to attach the support rails separately then screw the rack to the support rails. Just one extra step to put it in for hardtop.

DGriz 07-07-2014 11:51 AM

I just order the same cargo rack but I'm hoping I can figure out a way to attach this without drilling any new holes. Maybe another bar that runs along the hardtop rail? I'll post up any successes I have.

A'sJK 07-07-2014 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by DGriz (Post 3944609)
I just order the same cargo rack but I'm hoping I can figure out a way to attach this without drilling any new holes. Maybe another bar that runs along the hardtop rail? I'll post up any successes I have.

Do share. Im sure I could have made it more thought out, but the overall concept is the same for anybody willing to experiment: HF rack for cheap to assemble as you see fit...3/4 steel tubing to match...a little paint. For $100 you cant beat it.

Ill put up some better photos shortly.

A'sJK 07-07-2014 12:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More closeups...