Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Shortened hand screw for freedom top

Old 03-30-2012, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shortened hand screw for freedom top

This mod is so simple and I don't think it's been mentioned on this site yet. For folks tired of hand screwing for an eternity to get the freedom top hard panels off, you might want to shorten the length of screw by cutting it down in size.

Use a cutoff disk like a Dremel to cut 5/8 inch off the end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3772213796.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	297561

Here's a comparison with the unaltered screw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-444340177.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	297563

I know that some will post that the simple answer would be to ditch the screws altogether. This is for those who want peace of mind, or need the screws for a better water seal. I use a single shortened screw on the right panel only, because the left panel latch holds that one down with the right. Now the panels come off fast and remain secure when reattached.

Other notes: I could go shorter, but cutting off 5/8 inch seemed to be the sweet spot for me. 1/2 was not enough and still involved too much hand screwing. I looked for aftermarket solutions to this problem and found none. I also read on another thread that Chrysler purposely designed the long screw so that there would be no doubt as to whether or not it was threaded in place. I figure about 6-8 rotations would be enough to thread through most nuts. Anyone worried about security with a shorter screw, then just cut off less of the screw. Lastly, you'll be cutting off the tapered section of the screw head which may make it a little harder to thread, not an issue for me though. Enjoy.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool man. I will probably do this. Wonder why they made them so long?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

We bought our 08 JK used and don't have the hand screws for the top. Does anyone know the thread and pitch count. Id like to atleast get a couple screws to replace them.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

cant help you there, but here is hte part number for hte screw itself

1CJ57XDVAB
Old 04-02-2012, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

I never even screw these back in when I re-install my freedom top, so taking them off is easy and doesn't require this mod. So far, I haven't had any problems with the top trying to lift up, even going 90 mph on the interstate. Is there anyone who has had a problem doing this? Just wondering.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Originally Posted by grandjunktion
I never even screw these back in when I re-install my freedom top, so taking them off is easy and doesn't require this mod. So far, I haven't had any problems with the top trying to lift up, even going 90 mph on the interstate. Is there anyone who has had a problem doing this? Just wondering.

Have not had mine in for a couple of years no problems.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

To be honest I didn't even know they were missing till I read the thread. Have had no issues either.

Quick Reply: Shortened hand screw for freedom top