Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

ESP Kill Switch Writeup

Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESP Kill Switch Writeup

Well, I chose to install a switch to shut off the ESP (apposed to doing the hokey pokey steering wheel dance that is mentioned in the earlier model JK owners manuals). I did try the dance... roughly 3 dozen times to no avail, so that is when I decided a switch would be the best setup. Also, I can easily turn the ESP back on if desired without having to get lucky with the steering wheel dance scenario. I read several write-ups of people snagging the wire under the dash area on the drivers side, but I preferred accessing it from under the back of the center council. The main reason for choosing this location was that I wanted my switch to be on the council instead of up on the dash somewhere. Here is how I went about doing it...

First thing was remove the two screws at the back of the council (#30 Torx). Then I propped it up to gain access to the wire. A Molson bottle and a 2x4 seamed to be just about the perfect height before a lot of cracking noises were going to be heard (the e-brake needs to be set to allow the council to lift).

Then it was time to locate the purple wire with a light blue stripe. There is a purple wire with a dark blue stripe, so be sure to cut the one with the light blue stripe.

Then I drilled a hole for my switch where I wanted it and installed it. I had the 3 wires soldered onto the switch prior to installing it.

After that it was simply hooking two of the wires up to each end of the cut wire and then the ground.

Heres my finished product. The small red LED light is on all the time, which could have been off when the ESP was off had I switched the two wires around.

Now, with the ESP off there will be two lights on the dash constantly... the ABS light and the jeep with the skid marks. The ESP can be turned off at any time while driving, but to turn it back on the vehicle will have to be shut off.

LET THE WHIPS BEGIN.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:37 PM
JK Freak

Oh, and this is on my 2012 model. Im not sure if it is any different throughout the years.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, I like this location over the others and looks easier to access as well. Have you used this for awhile? I'm asking because some people are saying that with the '12s and newer it creates some kind of problem, something about low voltage to certain circuits. Keep us updated, I know I would like to do this myself eventually.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:29 AM
JK Newbie

AWESOME write-up! Excellent work too! Thank you!
Old 01-12-2013, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

Great job. Came out awesome, very clean work. But can someone help the new guy out? Why do you need to do this? My 09 JKUX has a switch under the heat knob to turn ESP off, and it automatically goes off in 4wd low. I've read it stays partially on in this mode, does your method turn it completly off?
Thanks
Old 01-12-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dropkick-JK
Great job. Came out awesome, very clean work. But can someone help the new guy out? Why do you need to do this? My 09 JKUX has a switch under the heat knob to turn ESP off, and it automatically goes off in 4wd low. I've read it stays partially on in this mode, does your method turn it completly off?
Thanks
It doesn't completely turn off until ur in 4 low I believe, other than that when u hit the button under ur heat its definitely not completely off its something like 60/40 or something..... Somebody help me out here..... When u add the switch or do the steering wheel dance is the only way to turn it completely off....

By the way to the OP great write up! I'll be installing one soon!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the great comments guys. This is coming from a guy with absolutely NO wiring experience, so this is proof that anyone should be able to do this. Simple. I bet it took me several hours of dinking around, where a guy who has done wiring before could probably tackle it in less than a half hour.

Originally Posted by NinjaTurtle1
Looks good, I like this location over the others and looks easier to access as well. Have you used this for awhile? I'm asking because some people are saying that with the '12s and newer it creates some kind of problem, something about low voltage to certain circuits. Keep us updated, I know I would like to do this myself eventually.
Just did it last night. I havnt even pulled it out of the garage yet. I sure hope I dont experience any issues... I will keep everyone updated.

Originally Posted by Dropkick-JK
Thanks
Yep, that button only turns it partially off. For proof, press it while in 2 wheel drive and try to whip it sideways.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Aha! very cool. thanks.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just finished this but I put my switch on the inside back wall of the console. Very easy mod.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is this on a 12' or newer model. Auto or manual?

Quick Reply: ESP Kill Switch Writeup