Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

ESP Kill Switch Writeup

Old 01-06-2016, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up ESP kill switch on 2014 jeep Rubicon

Ok installed the switch.......Fantastic! I have been driving for 44 years, I don't think I need some computer guided mess to help me. Thanks great tutorial!

Oh, ya we didn't have seat belts to strap us in or helmets to keep us safe back then either, just fun and common sense.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by valj
Ok installed the switch.......Fantastic! I have been driving for 44 years, I don't think I need some computer guided mess to help me. Thanks great tutorial!

Oh, ya we didn't have seat belts to strap us in or helmets to keep us safe back then either, just fun and common sense.
Really? Aren't you stretching the truth a bit? I've been also driving for more than 40 years and cars I've had in the 50's and 60's had seat belts. Also we wore helmets when we rode our motorcycles. But, there wasn't any laws governing the use of them.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just did this. Great write up and works flawlessly!! Thanks!
Old 01-08-2016, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkrubcon
Love mine, live in Wisconsin. The only prob I have is I can't set the cruise after I push the button. I've always been scared to push the button AFTER I've set the cruise, afraid I'd fry something. Does anyone know if I can?
Im sure it will just instantly shut the cruise off, much like when i push the clutch in with the cruise set.

Try it though.... Hell it might send ya back to the future!!!!

Edit: i just wanted to add that i am not sure why you would want to be using this mod while driving down the road with cruise on? Personally, i think it is best to just leave it off while traveling on roadways.

Last edited by olyelr; 01-08-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
Just did this. Great write up and works flawlessly!! Thanks!
Your welcome, thanks for the kind words!
Old 01-08-2016, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

As a small update, i have now been using this on my '12 for over 3 years and have not had any electrical issues at all.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of doing this on my 14. We occasionally play in the mud and it would be helpful.

Purple wire with light blue stripe. Hopefully it won't fry anything
Old 05-10-2016, 05:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Purple wire with STRAIGHT blue stripe.
A question was raised about air bags working off the Black Box accelerometer ; will they work if the Kill Switch disables the whole gamut of "systems" ?
If the Black Box information is used in accident Investigation, and Kill Switch was employed, what are your Iiability issues, if any ?
I like "mods" that increase fun and function, but not at expense of innocent bystanders, should my (or your) Skills be less than anticipated for those "O S $#% ! Events.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
Purple wire with STRAIGHT blue stripe.
A question was raised about air bags working off the Black Box accelerometer ; will they work if the Kill Switch disables the whole gamut of "systems" ?
If the Black Box information is used in accident Investigation, and Kill Switch was employed, what are your Iiability issues, if any ?
I like "mods" that increase fun and function, but not at expense of innocent bystanders, should my (or your) Skills be less than anticipated for those "O S $#% ! Events.

I dont think the bags will work when the system is disabled. But then again i really am just guessing. No idea if it could ever be traced in an accident either.

That is why i always suggest not driving on the roads with the system dissabled. I personally just use if for off road only. The system works well for on road use, in my opinion.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raising the thread from the dead....I cant find a write up on how to do this and with rainy season around the corner, I'd like to do this. Any pointers?

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin
I did this, as well as a kill switch for the electric fan. Those fans hate mud and water, and if gravel is flying things can get expensive quick. SO throw a 30amp relay in there and make a matching switch for water corssings and mud pits... youll be happy you did.

Also, I know guys talk about the SPAL waterproof fan- but it DOES NOT FLOW LIKE THE OEM UNIT. I use Advanced Auto's Lifetime replacement fan, $130 and another $10 for the switch. However, had I had just put in the switch first I would never have needed the fan.

Quick Reply: ESP Kill Switch Writeup