Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

EVO Hood Breach Install

Old 07-16-2017, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO Hood Breach Install

Installed my EVO Hood Breach yesterday. It's a pretty straight forward install, but I thought I'd share a few pics from the install.

First I removed the hood for easier access when cutting and bolting the breach down. I used an xacto knife around the paint on the torx holding the hood to the hinges for easier bolt removal.
Click image for larger version

Name:	no hood.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	673301

Next I used the overlay piece to mark the holes to be drilled and openings to be cut.

Name:	hood breach outline.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	673302

Center punched the holes and drilled them out.

Name:	hood breach drill.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	673303

Now onto the fun part. Started cutting with a dremel since there are some sharp corners to cut. After I roasted 5 dremel wheels in a few minutes I decided to pull out the angle grinder with cut off wheel for the long straight lines and go back to the dremel for the corners.

Name:	Hood breach cutting.png
Views:	434
Size:	646.7 KB
ID:	673304

Name:	Hood breach cut.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	673305

Sanded the rough edges and hit the open cuts with rustoleum. Decided not to paint the substructure as it is a tan color already and blends in well with my powder coated vents.

Next was lining it up and bolting it down.

Very happy with the end result. Had the pieces power coated in tan for the piece with the vents and black for the overlay piece. I also added a piece of red vinyl to the hood under the EVO logo.

Name:	hood breach installed 2.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	673306Click image for larger version

Name:	hood breach logo.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	673307Click image for larger version

Name:	hood breach under.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	673308Click image for larger version

Name:	hood breach installed 1.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	673309Click image for larger version

Name:	hood breach installed 3.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	673310
Old 07-16-2017, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good
Old 07-16-2017, 09:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

What happens when it rains ?
Old 07-17-2017, 09:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dahreno
Usually water comes down from the sky!!(water cycle)... lol.... All kidding aside, it does not seem to be an issue since the engine has a cover on it. I am doing the poison spyder louver this Wednesday. All the reviews I have read, there have been no issues with water and all are happy with the engine bay running cooler. They have been around for a few years now. I just wish they would stop plastering the company name on everything or give you an option to op-out, kinda kills the chance to add your own touch.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a scoop on the hood of one of my Jeeps and I hate it because of the water that gets in. It does have a V8 though and the water goes right onto and into the air filter. I wish it had openings on the side of the hood . Also, I don't like it when they put their name on stuff either, they should charge you less for advertising for them.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed mine. Not bad, the only issue was that 2 of the screws where going to require drilling way more into the hood, just left them out. They fall right on top of the cross membrane. Maybe my OCD will kick in and I will install later. The other was my fault. I used a crappy 1 inch circular drill bit, the bit only lasted 1 hole. Did not really need the bit, used a cutting wheel. Looks good and it keeps the temps down. I been using a Bullydog tuner to monitor the temps for a while now. Jeep always took a while to bring temps down. 225 was the norm. Now its 205ish. Temps come down really quick now.

Name:	Jeep.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	639.9 KB
ID:	673443
Old 07-20-2017, 12:35 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by NewOldSchool
Just installed mine. Not bad, the only issue was that 2 of the screws where going to require drilling way more into the hood, just left them out. They fall right on top of the cross membrane. Maybe my OCD will kick in and I will install later. The other was my fault. I used a crappy 1 inch circular drill bit, the bit only lasted 1 hole.
Those couple bolts right by the hinges are a real beeyotch. I spent more time jacking with them, due to MY pos hole saw that died, than I did the entire rest of the process! Poor hole saws just weren't meant to deal with that metal.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NewOldSchool
Just installed mine. Not bad, the only issue was that 2 of the screws where going to require drilling way more into the hood, just left them out. They fall right on top of the cross membrane. Maybe my OCD will kick in and I will install later. The other was my fault. I used a crappy 1 inch circular drill bit, the bit only lasted 1 hole. Did not really need the bit, used a cutting wheel. Looks good and it keeps the temps down. I been using a Bullydog tuner to monitor the temps for a while now. Jeep always took a while to bring temps down. 225 was the norm. Now its 205ish. Temps come down really quick now.

Attachment 673443
Looks good!
Old 07-24-2017, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dahreno
It gets wet. I hose down my engine all the time after wheeling to get dirt/mud/debris off.

Quick Reply: EVO Hood Breach Install