Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

EVO JK Rock Stars

Old 02-14-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO JK Rock Stars

Off Road Evolution supplied pretty good instructions, but I thought I would try and add to them.

Jack up your jeep and support it using jack stands with the back tires off of the ground.

Remove the tires, shocks, sway bar links, brake caliper, & lower control arms.

Shock mount prior to EVO Rock Stars.

Measure 1.5 inches down from center of the lower control arm bolt hole.

We used a sawzall to cut the bracket & shock mounts then used a grinder to trim and smooth things up some.

We then painted the bare metal and test fit the Rock Stars.

We then installed the bolts. Remember the small lower bolt needs to be inserted from inside the bracket so the nut is exposed. The small upper bold is inserted from the outside so the nut is on the inside.

Now it is time to reinstall the lower control arm.
Note: If you are using the EVO Rock Stars along with the TeraFlex axle mounted track bar bracket be prepared to go to the store and pick up a longer bolt for the lower control arm mount, as the stock bolt will not be long enough. This is for the driver's side only. Torque the small bolts to 40 ft. lbs.

I decided to use OME long travel shocks with my lift and ran into a small problem. The rear shocks would not mount into the EVO Rock Stars without trimming the mounts a little to prevent the shock tube from rubbing and the holes to line up to get the lower mounting bolt in.

It is now time to reattach the brake caliper, sway bar links, shocks, wheels, and lower your JK to the ground. After lowering you JK torque you lower control arm bolts to 125 ft. lbs. and your shocks to 90 ft. lbs.
This is what my finished EVO Rock Stars looked like.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great write up look's AWESOME
Old 02-14-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very, VERY cool! I am going to do this soon, so it was good to see the process. Interesting about the OME LT's not clearing. That is also good to know since my new ones will be here on Mon!

Have you stretched it out yet? I'm curious about the springs and down travel. Those OME LT's have about 11" of travel, and if the lower mount just moved up 1.5-2" then you are going to have quite a bit more down travel... maybe 2-3" more than with your other shocks. I wonder if the coils will fall out and if we might need a limiting strap?

Also, how do you like those shocks? What is the ride difference like?

Thanks for posting up!
Old 02-14-2009, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

You know what...I just realized I made my install a little more difficult by cutting off the stock sway bar end link mounts along with the shock mount...HA!

Check out my write up for some other helpful hints if attempting this mod

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...evo+rock+stars
Old 02-14-2009, 02:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by RubiJK
Very, VERY cool! I am going to do this soon, so it was good to see the process. Interesting about the OME LT's not clearing. That is also good to know since my new ones will be here on Mon!

Have you stretched it out yet? I'm curious about the springs and down travel. Those OME LT's have about 11" of travel, and if the lower mount just moved up 1.5-2" then you are going to have quite a bit more down travel... maybe 2-3" more than with your other shocks. I wonder if the coils will fall out and if we might need a limiting strap?

Also, how do you like those shocks? What is the ride difference like?

Thanks for posting up!
I measured the shock and I have about 8" of down travel with the EVO Rock Stars. I haven't had a chance to strech it out yet, but I will be keeping an eye on the springs. The shocks ride great. I got the LT shocks with this lift, because I loved the ride of the OME shocks with my last lift.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by seal20
You know what...I just realized I made my install a little more difficult by cutting off the stock sway bar end link mounts along with the shock mount...HA!

Check out my write up for some other helpful hints if attempting this mod

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...evo+rock+stars
Cool, it's a shame I didn't see this before I did mine. Every tip helps.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Lightbulb I'm glad

I'm glad that you were the first guennea pig to try these with the OME LT shocks. Now that I know the EVO Rock Stars have to be modified to use the OME LT shocks I am just going to make my own shock skid plates.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Bluewaterrider
I'm glad that you were the first guennea pig to try these with the OME LT shocks. Now that I know the EVO Rock Stars have to be modified to use the OME LT shocks I am just going to make my own shock skid plates.
I believe that EVO has weld on skid plates for the back, I just chose the Rock Stars for my use.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Robar
I believe that EVO has weld on skid plates for the back, I just chose the Rock Stars for my use.
Yeah I know but the EVO weld on rear skids only protect the control arm and don't protect the shock at all
Old 02-14-2009, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bluewaterrider
Yeah I know but the EVO weld on rear skids only protect the control arm and don't protect the shock at all
The shock tubes don't rub that bad...I ran into this problem (if you can call it that) until I switched to my Fox shocks. It's really not an issue. The benifits of these are more than just being a skid, even though they do protect the control arm and the shock.

Last edited by seal20; 02-15-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: EVO JK Rock Stars