Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

OR-FAB Sport Cage Installation

Old 10-19-2009, 09:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OR-FAB Sport Cage Installation

Patience, as this is a work in progress. I received my OR-FAB sport cage last Thursday, but was not able to start working on it until today.
As usual, their product was packaged in foam and plastic bags that requires you to perform a scavenger hunt to get all the pieces. However, none of them were damaged in transit, and for a long heavy box that's a sign of good packaging.
Once all the pieces get laid out, you have to strip the Jeep down. This means taking the windshield down after removing the sport bars and the upper supports at the B pillar.

Then you need to notch out some of the dash support following their instructions. Here you can see the pieces removed. I didn't use a cut off wheel because I didn't have one, but they recommend one. A good chisel will remove all these pieces, but requires a bit more hammering.

Passenger requires you to remove a little more, and be careful of wiring.
You also have to drill holes using a template they provide. They say 7/16, but I can never get them on center, so I used 1/2" drill so I could get my bolts to work.

More to come, as I'm still working on it, just waiting for my help, because you have to set it in as a complete unit.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Part 2

So the hardest part is getting both side bars to go down where you want them. Then you have to make sure the lateral width is a certain amount (49 1/4"). I cheated and used a ratcheting strap.

After you get that width correct, you start tightening down all the bolts everywhere.

These bottom weld strip bolts are the hardest. I can't for the life of me figure out what compelled them to not put threads on the flange, because putting a nut on the back is nearly impossible. You can see the wrench hanging on after finally getting the nut started.

Here you can see the dash bar and how close the tweeters, defroster, and the daystar dash organizer. So, it fits with the dash organizer. Sort of. It pushes it up. I'll see if I can live with it or if I have to go back to stock (since I don't ever put anything in it anyway.

Here is the "almost done" phase.

Here is what it looks like with the stock padding, and the soft top up.

It seems a little tight, so I don't know if it is the cold, or the new bars making it so. I'll see if it loosens up some. I may have some adjusting to do still.

Driver's seat view. No obstruction except the far right. I can see hood above the dash bar.

I haven't fully trimmed my visor piece to go back in. The cross bar does catch the top clamps, so I'll have to get used to that.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:44 PM
JK Junkie

AWESOME! GREAT LOOK!
Old 10-19-2009, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

superb details, and finished result. How long did the install take ?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Default Cage Install Write-Up

Hey Dr.

Great write-up! I'll find out if there are any strength issues with the use of inserts on the dash side plates. You may have come up with a better idea with regard to NOT thru-bolting to the pinch seam.

Thank you!

Yates
Old 10-20-2009, 04:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by westchester
superb details, and finished result. How long did the install take ?
About 10 hours total. Of course that includes the time for driving to the hardware store twice and for repainting my light brackets with bedliner. You will need a friend for the part where you "slide" the brackets in.
Now that it is in, does anyone have picture requests?
Old 10-20-2009, 04:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by yhudson
Hey Dr.

Great write-up! I'll find out if there are any strength issues with the use of inserts on the dash side plates. You may have come up with a better idea with regard to NOT thru-bolting to the pinch seam.

Thank you!

Yates
Of course, after writing that, I thought that it may be related to the floor mount.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Where did you order your cage from??
Old 10-20-2009, 05:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dr. McNinja, Are the steamer bars attached to the cross bar by a bolt or are they just telescoped over the bar and floating??? Can't tell by the pics and am very curious to the final design.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Flyguytki
Where did you order your cage from??
Pre-order special from Northridge. There's a thread about it in the sponsor forum.
Originally Posted by toymaster
Dr. McNinja, Are the steamer bars attached to the cross bar by a bolt or are they just telescoped over the bar and floating??? Can't tell by the pics and am very curious to the final design.
Didn't have pics because it wasn't finished, but now it is, and I'll have pics tonight. You telescope it over, and then drill and put self tapping screws (monster ones). They have 1/2 bolt head, you have to drill a 17/64 hole. You can't use a 1/4, I tried. I didn't put the rear screws in yet because you use the same hole for the rear streamer, and it hasn't arrived yet. It doesn't move with the front attached. I've also got the trim and visors back in, so I'll have it all tonight.

Quick Reply: OR-FAB Sport Cage Installation