Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

First Road Trip

Old 07-17-2007, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Road Trip

Took the first family vacation last week in the JK Unlimited - a combination of highway, city, unpaved forest roads, mountains, mud, dust and a small stream crossing.

According to the trip computer, I was averaging 20.5 MPG with 3 people luggage and other cargo with A/C on and cruise control set at about 67 MPH on the highway.

The ride was comfortable and I didn't feel fatigued even after long driving spells. Handling was great on twisting roads. There was plenty of room to spare. Freedom top front panels came off as weather permitted. JK looked great after splashing through the mud.

One time I got a mystery chime early in the trip while exiting I80. No idea what that was about, no indicator lights came on and it didn't happen again.

Washed all the mud off (top and bottom) and did first ever oil and filter change
at 2400 miles after I got home.

Overall, a very satisfactory trip that was more comfortable and fuel efficient than the KJ I traded for the JK.

Can't wait to do it again next month!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

glad to hear it went well, could the chime be from leaving the turn signal on for a while? hope you took pics
Old 07-17-2007, 10:27 AM
JK Freak

thats great to hear, i just went to SC as well, and if you slow down and take your time you get pretty good mileage, at 73 i was getting 20mpg - 19.5...but my sister who was flying going 85 in her BMW was getting 35 mpg......unbelievable
Old 07-17-2007, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bofer84
thats great to hear, i just went to SC as well, and if you slow down and take your time you get pretty good mileage, at 73 i was getting 20mpg - 19.5...but my sister who was flying going 85 in her BMW was getting 35 mpg......unbelievable
Ya but the BMW doesn't have a push rod V6, and isn't shaped like a brick...
Old 07-17-2007, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toad
I'm thinking the chime may have been the "low gas" indicator. It chimes when it gets to 1/4 tank. That's the only thing I can think of. Glad you had a great time. I have loved my Jeep ever since I got it.

I had plenty of gas, half a tank at least. It chimed about a half dozen times then stopped. Maybe it thought I was going too fast off the exit ramp.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

if you leave the turn signal on too long (forget to turn it off at times it doesn't click off itself - like making a wide turn off an exit ramp) it will start chiming at you to remind you to turn it off.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mcnaught6
if you leave the turn signal on too long (forget to turn it off at times it doesn't click off itself - like making a wide turn off an exit ramp) it will start chiming at you to remind you to turn it off.
That might explain it. It was a long, looping ramp.

Quick Reply: First Road Trip