Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Front Speaker Install Write-Up

Old 08-29-2008, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aclokwerk
it is a sound dampening effect on the speaker box ....ever hear a honda drive by with twelves in the trunk and hear bmmmmmm(rattle rattle) from the out side. it will deaden the vibrations of the box and produce cleaner louder sound....i still need to fill my speaker bar. i had polk db 6.5 components installed in front tweeter in stock local and just polk db's in the bar but they shake like hell, when powered by after market amp.....100 times better than stock, i did leave the stock radio in place to keep the thieves away. i did not want to dismantle the dash and worry about where to mount the crossovers so i had the guys at work do it for me...its nice.
OK, in process of installing these polks. I'd prefer to keep the stock look on the tweeters, were you able to manage this? Any pics?

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2008, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Very funny you ask Cobra...I finally just installed my Polk tweeters this past week after they sat on my dining room table for months....

The answer to your question is kind of...

The Polk tweets are too big for the factory grill cover and the housing so I broke out my dremel and shaved the plastic housing so I could fit the tweets in and then wired them up....they look good; I haven't taken any pics yet, but if you need any additional info pm me!
Old 12-10-2008, 12:07 AM
JK Freak

Im going to do this these speakers are on sale now at cicuit city 1 pair for $100 and half price on a second pair.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent write up. I just added 4 new Polk speakers using it. I have a few things that may make things a little easier.

The side panels can be removed with your finger. There is a gap in the upper back corner. Stick your finger in and pull.

Also, do the passenger side first. It will give you a chance to get the feel for what is going on before you take on the driver side.

For the driver side you have to remove the gauge pod (4 screws) because there is a single screw behind the left side gauges that you need to take out. Also, don't forget to put this screw back in BEFORE you reattach the gauge pod. DOH!

To remove the gauge shroud (the plastic piece behind the steering wheel) remove the 2 screws on each side of the steering wheel and pull the piece up. NOTE: tilt your steering wheel down for easier clearance.

Also, there is a screw behind the tweeter. Removing it will give you a little extra space to pull the dash out.

Finally since you are going to have your gauges out already if you are wanting to paint the gauge cluster do it now.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dlud51
Very funny you ask Cobra...I finally just installed my Polk tweeters this past week after they sat on my dining room table for months....

The answer to your question is kind of...

The Polk tweets are too big for the factory grill cover and the housing so I broke out my dremel and shaved the plastic housing so I could fit the tweets in and then wired them up....they look good; I haven't taken any pics yet, but if you need any additional info pm me!
Do the new tweeters make a noticeable difference?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IonZone
Do the new tweeters make a noticeable difference?
Yes, the Polk tweets make a very noticeable difference; I feel they were worth the $$$.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

where did you get the poly fill for the front speaker boxes? and how much did it cost? if you dont mind me asking
Old 01-08-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wal-Mart...it was really cheap (I don't recall the actual price)...no more than $5.

Works wonders though and I highly recommend it.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:05 PM
-

for free polyfill take old throw pillow and cut it open...

i just dynamatted the inside of my soundbar and stuffed it with polyfill. my midbass hits REAL tight now. i LOVE the improvement by adding the infinity 6022i speakers.

now on to the dash with this writeup in hand
Old 01-26-2009, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

i did this just last night and one thing i can add to this is that the only way i could get the driver's side speaker out was to rotate it towards the rear of the jeep so that when it came out the top of the box was facing the floor and the speaker was facing the front of the jeep. had to put the new one in that way, just reversed of course..

hope that helps some people.

Quick Reply: Front Speaker Install Write-Up