JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Write-Ups (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/)
-   -   Garage Door Remote wired switch with relay (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/garage-door-remote-wired-switch-relay-152338/)

Jeepcrazed 08-11-2011 05:23 AM

Pretty cool mod. I just lock mine in the center console though.

Enzo 08-11-2011 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by davegus (Post 1985239)
Very nice. How are you going to go wireless with all those components?

I like the clean final results, great job.

I do electrical work my self, ever consider making it non battery operated and getting constant power?

davegus 08-26-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jeepcrazed (Post 2462017)
Pretty cool mod. I just lock mine in the center console though.

Thanks.. I used to put the opener in the center console with my TJ until someone broke into it at the airport. The latch on the center consoles is just plastic, and I'm pretty sure the JKs aren't much different in terms of security.

Even when I replaced it with the Tuffy console, I found that I rarely locked it unless I was parking somewhere downtown. When it was parked in the driveway, I hardly ever locked it, and it would be easy for someone to open the soft top, and then have access to my garage.

davegus 08-26-2011 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Enzo (Post 2462068)
I like the clean final results, great job.

I do electrical work my self, ever consider making it non battery operated and getting constant power?

The thought crossed my mind, but it didn't stay long enough to map it out :-) Please post up if you get the time to sketch it.

Fly-Attack 08-26-2011 11:25 AM

That's one of the best i've seen......nice job.

TeamFaust 03-14-2012 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by davegus (Post 2494049)
The thought crossed my mind, but it didn't stay long enough to map it out :-) Please post up if you get the time to sketch it.

Thinkinging about constant power source so don't have to pull it apart to change battery when it dies... couldn't you simply add a resistor to a power source lead to step down the 12v to 9v (assuming the garage door opener is 9v battery operated) and connect to the 9v battery connector in the remote?

davegus 03-14-2012 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by TeamFaust (Post 2903132)
Thinkinging about constant power source so don't have to pull it apart to change battery when it dies... couldn't you simply add a resistor to a power source lead to step down the 12v to 9v (assuming the garage door opener is 9v battery operated) and connect to the 9v battery connector in the remote?

don't see why not... i suppose when this battery dies, I'll look at wiring it up to constant power.

Johnny_t 03-15-2012 08:38 PM

Wow. I like this but maybe out of my capabilities. Good write up.