Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Garmin 7200 Install (Move over MyGig!)

Old 07-26-2007, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin 7200 Install (Move over MyGig!)

Hey guys... I just finished installing my Garmin Streetpilot 7200 and I love it! To me, the main advantage to this set-up is the portability of the unit. I set up one cradle with a permanent mount in the Jeep (where I primarily use it) but I have a suction cup cradle so I can use it in my Boat, Suburban, Company Vehicle... whatever. It cost me $728.00, but I have seen them anywhere from $723-$1200 (new, not refurbished). Compare that to $1600 plus labor for the MyGig which has to stay in the Jeep.

The GPS portion of the unit is great. It speaks about 10 different languages and about 4 different English Dialects... I am using the Australian one at the moment. The external speaker works great and is really loud... but it also includes a FM modulator and has 3.5mm stereo output. The screen is awesome and works really well in the sunlight... much better than your standard DVD screens. The unit automatically adjusts itself to the ambient light... so no fooling with the settings when night approaches is required. The map will also switch to night mode so that it is not a distraction. The GPS interface is fantastic and has too many features to list here, but it will search all the POI's you want and then some. You can set-up your own waypoints and routes. It has XM and can use XM Navtraffic/Weather. It is not available for my city at the moment... (Hell, we just got roads here in Arkansas!). I bought an extra Sirius receiver for my company vehicle and added that to my account... it costs about 8 bucks after taxes. Since this unit does XM, I am considering killing that extra Sirius account and paying a few dollars more to have both! Talk about your options!

The media portion of this unit is great too... It has and SD card slot as well as internal memory. It has a great MP3 player, Audio Book Reader, XM Radio, and Audio Video input. Thanks to the folks on this forum, I tapped off the video out on the back of the 6disc DVD and have that going to this unit. What's great is that when you have directions coming up... it will flash your directions up and then return to your video. It will also attach to a back-up camera and has a selection for it... my guess is that it knows your backing up and will activate the video input automatically. I used a RAM mount to install the cradle above the mirror. I barely see the unit in my rearview mirror and it does not bother me in that regard. There is so much this thing does that I am sure I missed something, but if you have any questions... just ask! Okay, enough chit chat... here are the pics:

Running with my doors off today too...

Patented Anti-tailgaiting device!! God Bless America!

Last edited by USAF_GroundRat; 07-26-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default word

HOLY BIG ASS SCREEN BATMAN
I have a 4" GPS, what size is that?

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; 08-02-2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:58 AM
JK Super Freak

7" touch screen... ohh yeah and it has a remote too.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

You need more electrical things above your mirror.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by redWRANGLER
Haha...I was thinking the same thing....

Talk about fitting 10 lbs of sht in a 5 lb bag!

Nice Nav though!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:07 PM
gcg
JK Newbie

What support does it have for topo maps? Can you draw routes on a topo map?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by gcg
What support does it have for topo maps? Can you draw routes on a topo map?
I am not sure. Here is the link for details from Garmin: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=6389

This peeked my interest so I did a search, yes it will do topo maps: http://gpsnow.com/gmms.htm

Last edited by USAF_GroundRat; 07-26-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by redWRANGLER
Originally Posted by souvlaki99
Haha...I was thinking the same thing....

Talk about fitting 10 lbs of sht in a 5 lb bag!

Nice Nav though!
You don't really see those garage door openers when the nav is in place anyway... but I have been thinking about relocating them.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

Very cool. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

off subject... I need one of those stickers... Pease through superior fire power... where can I get one? Please PM me.

TC

Quick Reply: Garmin 7200 Install (Move over MyGig!)