Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Gas Strut Kit from Cool Tech, LLC - Install

Old 05-17-2008, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Strut Kit from Cool Tech, LLC - Install

Well, my Cool Tech, LLC JK, Gas Strut Kit was delivered to me yesterday. The packaging used for shipping was very good. The parts sent by Cool Tech looked top notch. Quality stuff for sure. You can order here http://www.cooltechllc.com/servlet/Detail?no=25

This morning I did the install. The instructions were very good. The install was easy and straightforward. Do read over the instructions carefully a couple of times. THINK, before you drill! Follow the instructions carefully! Will take you 15 or so minutes to do the install.

The drill bit provided by Cool Tech is very good. It cuts through the metal easily. You will need a decent, sharp bit of a smaller diameter to use for drilling the pilot holes.

The cutting screws provided by Cool Tech are quality and stand up well when you are using them.

Caution... when you are figuring out where to place the large bracket on your tub, do NOT mark/attempt to drill into or right next to a spot weld. These spot welds appear indented and are round. Move the bracket a tad so you do not mark/drill on or real close to a spot weld. You will have great difficulty trying to get your cutting screw through a spot weld!

Do know that you will need a very good Phillips head screwdriver of the proper size. Do not attempt to do this install with an old beat up screwdriver that has a bad tip! Remember, you are using thread cutting screws that are cutting their own threads. Takes a very good screwdriver and lots of energy/uumph to get them in. Do not try to use an electric or battery powered screwdriver. Push very firmly on your screwdriver when placing the thread-cutting screws or you risk stripping the screw heads. The provided screws are quality and do not strip easily.

Do use tape to protect your paint as suggested in the instructions. I found it easiest/best to insert the screws THEN remove the screws and then install the bracket with the screws. It would be very difficult to manhandle those screws in/cut threads while you are trying to hold the bracket.

In closing, the JK, Gas Strut Kit is some terrific addition to the JK. Looks factory, quality hardware, will hold up well for sure. Does not at all affect storage space and it does keep the rear door open and not hitting you in the butt.

Well worth the $ for sure! Terrific addition to my/your JK.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, I think this goes on the future mod list.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

hey thanks for the info. I emailed cooltech today.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Something I forgot to mention in my original post here..

When you are doing the actual install of the JK Tailgate Strut Kit you do need to remove the 3 acorn nuts securing the sub woofer and move the sub woofer over slightly while you are doing the install of the strut kit. Once you have the strut kit installed the sub woofer goes right back where it was meant to be. The Cool Tech JK Tailgate Strut Kit in no way interferes with the sub woofer.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the write up. mine is on order and should be here soon.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

just curious does the kit use self-tapping screw or rivet?
Old 05-19-2008, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cim330
just curious does the kit use self-tapping screw or rivet?
The Cool Tech kit uses stainless steel brackets (2) and stainless steel, phillips head, self threading screws .

Last edited by BILLARF; 05-19-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:54 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BILLARF
self threading screws .
Good luck with those. They won't be there very long.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Good luck with those. They won't be there very long.
Why not? Please don't leave us hanging in suspense.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by putnam dan
What does WOODS use? I think I liked his more
Woods uses SS nuts and bolts on the body and SS bolts and nutserts on the tailgate. Im very happy with my Woods kit.

Quick Reply: Gas Strut Kit from Cool Tech, LLC - Install