Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Grill Mod

Old 03-26-2007, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy?

Where are you guys buying your aluminum? I'm having trouble finding it locally. Don't really want to order it online.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

i'm getting mine from Purple11haze.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Robar
i'm getting mine from Purple11haze.
me too .
Old 03-26-2007, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

I ordered mine from Lowes Saturday. They carried smaller sheets of expanded aluminum, but the 15x30 (next size up) was a special order. its $21 and they said it would take about a week.

On another note, I bought some "High Temp BBQ" paint. It says specically not to prime. Any thoughts here?

Also has anyone installed without painting? I wonder if the aluminum would look decent with a "brushed" look.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

they all looke nice.... but the one with the longer corners veritcle (tolh13) looks reeaaly nice. something about it matching the grill slots.

I'm curious.... if any of you guys that do the mod take it wheeling in mud, let me know if there is any reduction in the mud that ends up logging the radiator. Mine is the worst I have ever seen for filling with mud. I've had a CJ5 and still own a ZJ... neither of which were as prone to mud clogs.

I pulled the splash-pan thingy under the bumper... I figure its a major contributor...

anyway... I like the mesh look. I'll be modding mine, too.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you guy's not worried about restricting airflow into the radiator?

It looks cool but it's gonna block some air getting through and maybe alot on some of those patterns.

I've done a similar mod with my car but I cut a huge hole in the hood and put this mesh behind it for a scoop/vent.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FuLcRuM
Are you guy's not worried about restricting airflow into the radiator?

It looks cool but it's gonna block some air getting through and maybe alot on some of those patterns.

I've done a similar mod with my car but I cut a huge hole in the hood and put this mesh behind it for a scoop/vent.
I live in south Florida and it been i the mid to high 80s and the temp sill sits in the same place as before the mod.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Niiiice!!

cant wait to do it, this is something even i can do and afford to do!!!!!! seen thta billet grille for couple hundred horrible i think this is awesome......
Old 03-31-2007, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Default Grill mod

Fulcrum, the grill probably does restrict some airflow but not enough to matter. My temp gauge i still in the same spot also. Now with that said if you go with a smaller pattern, airflow could become an issue and add more stress to your zip tie mounts. My grill has already paid for itself with absorbing some rock strikes that could have damaged the tranny cooler. Unfortunately my windshield was not so lucky.

I still have five 15"x28" sheets left if anyone is interested.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

I recieved my metal from purple11haze. It was a good deal, but I haven't had tome to put it in yet.

Quick Reply: Grill Mod