Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hard Top Sound/ Winter / Summer Insulation

Old 01-10-2010, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan415
As many of us know the sound from inside the Jeep and the heat that comes off our our hard tops is not acceptable. So I'm just showing you a quick write up of what I have done with mine, although I have my hard top off for summer I'll show you what it looks like while its not installed. Everything I bought I got at Walmart or Home depot.
Just started on this project and am excited! Thanks for the great write up! I found some thin vinyl sheet material that I'm going to use to reinforce the insulation, but after feeling this stuff, I'm not to worried about denting it with my hands when removing the top. Again thanks for the post!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Selling!!!

BUMP I'm now selling this, as I've never used it after I made this write up... damn that whole moving to Southern california thing haha!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ost-New-(IDAHO)
Old 07-03-2011, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

about to give something like this a try, anyone else use the insulation?

I like the idea for added sound and heat, thinking about the liquid nails
Old 07-04-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice job, how long did it take from start to finnish? I think you found a side job!!
One question the brackets how did you anchor them? Glue or screws?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ConroeJK
about to give something like this a try, anyone else use the insulation?
I used the same stuff: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...dtop-Headliner Really nice in the cold

Nicely done!!! My Super77 to attach the panels failed at the first sign of heat, and my hardtop came off well before it really got hot.

I'll try liquid nails... If that doesn't hold, the little brackets will do it, for sure

-Joel
Old 07-06-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by joelmahoney

I used the same stuff: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...dtop-Headliner Really nice in the cold

Nicely done!!! My Super77 to attach the panels failed at the first sign of heat, and my hardtop came off well before it really got hot.

I'll try liquid nails... If that doesn't hold, the little brackets will do it, for sure

-Joel
That's what I'm afraid of, I bought a spray adhesive made by Loctite, it mentions "Heat Resistant" on the front, as well as "carpet". But, where I live in Texas it's all about heat, I'm afraid it will fail.

Also I'm wondering if I should spray the bedliner all over, or just around the edges where the carpet is not attached. I'm wondering if the carpet will attach more securely to the unpainted hardtop plastic or the bedliner?

I read your other write up post, I know you switched out your hardtop before it got too hot, but I was also wondering if the super77 has, at least held up, holding the fabric to the foam.

I am doing this this weekend but with an outdoor marine carpet with a rubber backing. Still trying to decide if I'm going to do it with a foam insulation or not.

Last edited by ConroeJK; 07-06-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ConroeJK
That's what I'm afraid of, I bought a spray adhesive made by Loctite, it mentions "Heat Resistant" on the front, as well as "carpet". But, where I live in Texas it's all about heat, I'm afraid it will fail.

Also I'm wondering if I should spray the bedliner all over, or just around the edges where the carpet is not attached. I'm wondering if the carpet will attach more securely to the unpainted hardtop plastic or the bedliner?

I read your other write up post, I know you switched out your hardtop before it got too hot, but I was also wondering if the super77 has, at least held up, holding the fabric to the foam.

I am doing this this weekend but with an outdoor marine carpet with a rubber backing. Still trying to decide if I'm going to do it with a foam insulation or not.
The super 77 glue did not hold up to the Texas heat. I tried with marine carpet and the carpet sagged big time.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

How long did the interior smell like paint? I'm wanting to start this project ASAP but not sure if I want to wait till the winter so that the heat doesn't amplify the smell.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

I was wondering that myself, I just did mine this weekend with the bedliner only, chickened out with the carpet. I let the hardtop sit out all day and night, then put it back on. The smell was pretty bad the first day it was back on, I left the jeep completely open for 2 days and the smell is much better. I'm thinking if your able to keep it open with some air moving around it won't last long.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool. Thanks. Prob wait till it cools off a bit down here then this will be my first project.

Quick Reply: Hard Top Sound/ Winter / Summer Insulation