Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Home Brew Roof Netting for 2 JK Wrangler

Old 01-28-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Brew Roof Netting for 2 JK Wrangler

So i read a few threads about roof netting on how to make it and finished products, so i decided to give it a shpt! Here is my right up(first ever)!!

Build Time: 3 hours
Money spent: 35$
Apperance: 10 Stars

Materials and Tools

- 1" strap material( black )
- 3/8" Eyelits and punch
- 3/4" Eyelits and punch
- Punch to make holes in material
- Hammer
- Lighter
- Scissors

Step 1

Pickup all required material and tools for the project, it sucks to have to stop and go out to get something.

Step 2

Cut all pieces of the strap to the required length, I chose to make 3" x 3" gaps in the web. so to make it even i had a rectangle measuring 41" x 25". This made for a perfect size for the opening above the Passanger and Driver. I then made the border of the rectangle and fastened it together. The way I fastned everything was, 1. to punch a whole. 2. place a lighter to the material till the ends are nice and clean 3. put the eyelit it and attach both pieces together.

Step 3

Start to fill in the rectangle with the straps all in the same direction first so left to right. once they are all in and fastned, you need to start installing the ones that go top to bottom, weaving them in and out of the other ones to hold it together.

Step 4

Once everything is now together it is time to get a wife girlfriend, friend or tailor shop to put some stiching around each eyelit to reinforce them.

Step 5

The Install!

Today it was -1 up here in ontario,canada and i took both panels off of my hardtop to do the install to get some pictures. To attach the netting to the "sport bar" i simply cut the extra 1" material i had in half and light all the edges. then i simply tied it to the sportbar and hooks.

what do you guys think?

Last edited by 2010BlueIslander; 01-28-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:44 PM
JK Super Freak

to sum it all up, I hate you lol.

You should make one for me and send it down my way
Old 01-28-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FloBraJK
to sum it all up, I hate you lol.

You should make one for me and send it down my way
im guessing you should add it ot your FUTURE mod list in your signature! lol

hard enough to make it for myself, dont think ill be making more and shipping them all over lol
Old 01-31-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

nobody? lol
Old 01-31-2011, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Nice work.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

That is dedication! Good job done and seems like an easy enough mod to do if one is inclined to do it.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have to have patience to do this one, easier once you get going, but is mostly repetition.

Cant wait for summer to have it in there perminant now
Old 02-17-2011, 04:29 AM
JK Freak

ok, I have been thinking a lot about this, making my own cargo netting,
I think cargo netting looks sweet on a jeep,
I noticed that the price for per made cargo netting was off the chart, way too much

so I have a few questions.

1. what thickness and width is the strapping you used?

2. what distance is each strap apart from the last?

3. How do you attach it to the roll bars? details and pics help.

4. will it hold the weight of a person laying on it like a hammock?

5. do you attach it only from roll bars, what about the bottom near the floor? for the side sections?

6. what sort of pattern do you use for the sowing?? like a square or a x, did you grommet first then sow? do you have to sew every junction where the straps meet up or just the outside ones?

7. will a normal sowing machine work?

8. do you use extra thick thread and needles? or just the regular stuff you would use to sow clothes? and if so.

9. will standard sowing machine handle extra thick thread and needles to make the whole rig stronger and more hard?

10. also why not have a grommet at each point the two straps meet, wouldn't that look good?

11. can you post the length, and width for front forward part as well back section and side sections?

Last edited by NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7; 02-17-2011 at 04:32 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was on board til you said you had someone else do the stitching...that's gotta be the hardest part and I wanted to see at least one picture of you with your needle and thread j/k, really nice job -- I am thinking about doing this as well only with a bit wider strapping.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JacKed 8
I was on board til you said you had someone else do the stitching...that's gotta be the hardest part and I wanted to see at least one picture of you with your needle and thread j/k, really nice job -- I am thinking about doing this as well only with a bit wider strapping.
To be honest...i went to value village and found an old singer sewing machine...i played around with i and asked some older people how it works lol...kind of figured it out, stiched more than half of it myself, then the machine stopped working,so i brang it in and paid them 10$ to finis and do touch ups

Quick Reply: Home Brew Roof Netting for 2 JK Wrangler