Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Home Brew Roof Netting for 2 JK Wrangler

Old 02-17-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7
ok, I have been thinking a lot about this, making my own cargo netting,
I think cargo netting looks sweet on a jeep,
I noticed that the price for per made cargo netting was off the chart, way too much

so I have a few questions.

1. what thickness and width is the strapping you used?

2. what distance is each strap apart from the last?

3. How do you attach it to the roll bars? details and pics help.

4. will it hold the weight of a person laying on it like a hammock?

5. do you attach it only from roll bars, what about the bottom near the floor? for the side sections?

6. what sort of pattern do you use for the sowing?? like a square or a x, did you grommet first then sow? do you have to sew every junction where the straps meet up or just the outside ones?

7. will a normal sowing machine work?

8. do you use extra thick thread and needles? or just the regular stuff you would use to sow clothes? and if so.

9. will standard sowing machine handle extra thick thread and needles to make the whole rig stronger and more hard?

10. also why not have a grommet at each point the two straps meet, wouldn't that look good?

11. can you post the length, and width for front forward part as well back section and side sections?

ill try to get them all...
1. its 1" by like 1/8th" or so
2.i made mine all 3" apart..so lke 3" then 1" strap then 3" space and so on
3. I attached it by cutting my extra 1" strap in half, burning all edges and cutting to length..tie to rollbar on sides,and on the front to where the hardtop or softtop attaches. on the back side i tied 3 nots in a piece and shoved it between the sound rack and center rollbar crossmember, (there is like at 3/8" gap, thats wy tied 3 nots)
4.It may hold,havent tried, probly wont lol
5. i have only made this piece but for the sides i would attach it by putting a eyelit in an using the hardtop screws to hold it
6. i did a square stich job, cant do an X because of eyelits, and i only sewed the perimeter, i decided to keep the others free.
7. normal sewing machine should work fine
8. i used te normal sewing machine with its needles, and normal thread from the dollar store...iwould never try to stich it by hand.
9.same as 7 and 8
10. I was thinking of this, but ittakes like 5-10 min to do one eyelit..(punch whole,burn edges, X2, align pieces,add eyelit)
11. 41" for front and back, 25" for both sides, everything overlaps...all pieces are these 2 lengths...they work perfectly with the 3 in gap to align them and end up turning out a pefect product.

Hope this helps, PM me if you need more info or dontget something

Quick Reply: Home Brew Roof Netting for 2 JK Wrangler