Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Homemade "Rail Doors"

Old 09-25-2010, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade "Rail Doors"

They're not exactly tube doors, although it was the closest I could come. I call them rail doors:

I didn't want to use the actual door hinges because of rust problems people have, so I designed them to work off nearby bolts instead. I attached a hinge to a 1" sheet metal tube using a 1.25" pin, which essentially acts as a second hinge in the horizontal direction. In other words, this thing can pivit up/down, and also outwards from the vehicle, which is necessary for it to open/close. The surface of the hinge against the Jeep's paint has soft-velcro stickied to it so it doesn't scratch anything.

You do need to support the weight of the thing when its open. To close it, the non-hinged end of it just sort of squeezes nicely down between the roll-bar and plastic.

Inside the tubing is an amber colored LED, which I connect with quick disconnects to a line running all the way from my trailer-light hookup (I never tow, so it's good to get use out of that somehow!)

You can't really even see them during the day, but at night, about 5 of the holes will glow yellow with my turn signal and/or brake light--- the two that are pictured below glow brightest and the rest have a faded glow. This is probably my favorite thing about the whole project, and this day-time pic does it NO justice. At night, the glowing holes look truly awesome.

Please note: I LOVE riding with these, but am aware that a side-impact would easily break my hinges and send this thing flying directly at me or my passengers. Either way, though, I'm still going to rock them.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

not bad, at least you will a ark rest.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Very creative! I like

Quick Reply: Homemade "Rail Doors"