Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hothead Headliners review

Old 08-06-2017, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Hi everyone,
Just a follow up. I got in touch with Mark and he really helped me out to take care of the problems I was having with my headliners. So not only are the Hothead Headliners the best looking available, a great looking quality product, Mark provides the best customer service around if you ever run into a problem with them.

To put it in perspective, I've had my HH liners for over 6 years now. I've been extremely happy with them, and can't even imagine my JK without them any longer. When my top rear panel fell off, my Jeep just felt so unfinished riding around without it. I was expecting to get all the materials myself to repair since I've owned them for so long. I sent Mark some photos, to show him what was going on and described what was happening, and Mark provided me advise on repairing it, linked some install videos for proper install, and sent me out all the supplies I needed to get the job done including 3M tape, replacement velcro, sand paper to scuff up the hard top locations for better reliable mounting, and even a roller tool to put that tape onto my panels and some material to clean up the top after scuffing it up. Way more than I was ever expecting. I was hoping to get some advise on fixing it. Mark did that as well as sent me everything I needed.

So here's what was going on with my panels.

I originally purchased the Velcro mounted panels, and with hindsight 20/20 if I ordered them again, I probably would have gotten the 3M tape mounted option. So for some odd reason, on my rear panel the velcro tape was still sticking to the hard top and to the HH panels but when put in place, the hook/loop of the velcro no longer seemed strong enough to hold the panel up (that whole gravity thing making it fall down.) After 30 minutes of driving it would start to droop and then would eventually fall off.

Additionally, my side rear windows, the glue on the back of the velcro had let loose and would no longer stick to the sides of the hard top. This was causing the the rears of those panels to come loose and wave at me when I looked in my rear view mirror.

Here's a photo of the problems I had going on.

For the rear top panel we decided to get rid of the Velcro and use the 3M tape. I pulled off the velcro strips from the top and additionally removed the other side of the velcro from the panel, although that last part really wasn't needed but I decided to do that anyways for the best placement of the tape. Mark provided me more than enough 3M tape, so I took advantage of that and decided to use more than what was needed. The more the merrier is what I figured.

For the sides, Mark sent me some replacement Velcro strips to replace the ones that had let loose that attached to the hard top. I used that, and am not sure if Mark recommends this or not but I took some additional liberties. I still had plenty of 3M tape left after the top panel repair, so I additionally added some further attachments on the side panels with the tape in addition to the Velcro. I also added some more Velcro I had laying around just for some additional adhesion point attachments. The white Velcro is the standard attachments for the sides, I added the black velcro and the 3M tape for good measure. Hopefully, that prevents them from ever coming loose again but I will note, the 3M tape or additional Velcro on the sides were not something Mark informed, suggested or recommended was needed.

From there, I took some adhesive remover and cleaned off any glue that was on my hard top from the original velcro strips I pulled off and then followed Mark's installation guides.
- Scuff up sides and top with provided sand paper.
- wipe top with provided rag to remove any dirt/dust from sanding
- Use Acetone to clean mounting surfaces on the top
- Put panels in place
- Press and hold firmly along tape lines to secure attachment of 3M tape to the hard top.

All back to looking great again!!! THANKS MARK!!!

P.S. I don't plan on ever selling my JK. If for some reason these ever come loose again, don't be surprised if I contact you in another 20 years.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-06-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had the exact same experience with Hot Head Headliners and Mark. He rocks!
Old 08-20-2017, 09:34 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hotheads Representative

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hothead Headliners Labor Day Sale

Hi Everyone,
it's time again for Hothead Headliners Labor Day Sale. It is starting today and will run through Sept 5th, so if you have been wondering how you can reduce the heat or noise in your Wrangler we have you covered. Just use the Discount Code "LABOR" at check out to get 15% off all products.
Click our web site link to see pics, product & install videos & prices.
As always if you have any questions just shoot us an email or give us a call.
Email: hotheadheadliners@gmail.com
Phone: 714-872-2071

best regards,

Mark
Old 08-20-2017, 11:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Definitely worth it

Originally Posted by Snowbrder086
Anybody with these notice better sound from the stereo? How about the road noise?
Yes and yes; less road/wind noise, better audio system sound. Much cooler inside as well; Black Hard Top with Black HotHead Headliners all-around and "Sound Assassin" strips installed.

It seems like too much to spend until you have it installed. Wish that I would have waited for this Labor Day Event and the lower price!
Old 09-03-2017, 02:07 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hotheads Representative

Default Hothead Headliners Labor Day Sale

Only a few days left to get 15% off all Hothead headliners.

Thanks for all the wonderful reviews.

Hothead Headliners
hotheadheadliners@gmail.com
714-872-2071
Old 10-01-2017, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really have to add another good review, I have had mine for two years now. I use to carry a hat to wear in really cold weather, but with Hothead Headliners even at -20F my head was comfortable. If there is any downside at all I do notice the Transmission tunnel sucking heat out of my right leg but that is not the headliners fault.

Thanks for making a great product Mark.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hotheads Representative

Default Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sale

Hi Everyone,
just a short announcement, Hothead Headliners is starting out annual Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday Sale. It starts today and runs through the 27th. So if you been eyeing a set of our hard or soft top headliners just click the below and head on over to our web site. Use the discount code "SAVE15" to get 15% off all orders.
Web Site: hotheadheadliners.com
Email: hotheadheadliners@gmail.com

Have a great holiday!

Mark
Hothead Headliners
Click image for larger version

Name:	11 4 black.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	676008

Name:	2014-11-06 15.00.46.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	676009

Name:	11 4 Oak.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	676010

Name:	LJ Headliner.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	676011
The following users liked this post:
doc5339 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hotheads Installed

I took a chance and purchased the Sound Assassins, Hothead Headliners and the Rear Window liners. I watched several videos installing them and read the directions. I can tell you that the whole package was very simple to install. One thing I did different is that I took off the freedom panels and installed the Sound Assassins and Hotheads on a bench. After installing them I got some of the clear plastic tarps used for painting and bagged the inside of the Jeep. I taped the tarps to the Jeep with blue painters tape and then sanded the roof. The directions and videos say to just sand it and then blow the dust out with an air compressor, I didn't like that idea so I used the tarps. It worked great, I just rolled them up and tossed them and the Jeep was spotless.

Now my head isn't freezing or hot anymore from the outside weather and the Jeep doesn't sound so hollow. My radio sounds much better as well!
Old 06-28-2018, 04:35 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hotheads Representative

Hi Everyone,
Hothead Headliner is having a 4th of July Sale. You can get 10% off all products by using the discount code JULY.
You can see pictures, videos & pricing at our web site: HOTHEAD HEADLINERS
If you have any questions please send us an email at: hotheadheadliners@gmail.com

best regards,
Mark

Quick Reply: Hothead Headliners review