Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

How to apply textured bed liner product to your hardtop

Old 07-07-2010, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to apply textured bed liner product to your hardtop

How to ‘Herculiner’ your hardtop

Materials needed:
Herculiner Bed Liner kit which includes:
1 gallon bed liner product
1 scouring pad
1 roller handle
1 paint brush
2 textured roller pads

Additional supplies needed:
1 sanding sponge rated for stripping
Sheet plastic, to cover Jeep and floor
2 sponge roller pads
1 plastic tray
Painters masking tape
Respirator
Tack cloth

I wanted to try the bed liner material for my hardtop because paint will not hold up on a trail. I looked into other options but there really aren’t many.
I bought the Herculiner Bed liner kit. It comes with 1 gallon can of Herculiner bed liner product, a scouring pad, 2 textured roller pads, 1 roller handle and 1 paint brush. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a sanding sponge used for stripping. I found that to be easier and faster to use.

I sanded the entire hardtop and panels. The two top panels, I took off and placed on saw horses. The hardtop I left on the Jeep. After sanding the hardtop I used post sanding cleaner. You can also use a tack cloth.

Mix the bed liner product very well. The smell is awful so I recommend a respirator, not just a N95 face mask. The fumes will make you sick.

Use painters tape to tape all windows. Cover everything except what you are applying bed liner to. This stuff does splatter.

Use the brush first and apply product to all the creases and hard to reach areas of the hard top. You want to use a ‘dab’ technique not a brush technique. After you’ve done all the areas, use one of the textured rollers. I just dipped it in the can, it was small enough. Just roll the product as evenly as you can. Wait about 2 hours and apply a second coat.

For added protection, I applied the UV Top Coat about 4 hours after the 2nd coat of Hercliner. You can only use the Top Coat with the black color Herculiner product because the Top Coat is black and glossy. The Top Coat can be used at a later date after years of use to restore your bed liner but I wanted protection from day 1. Use a sponge roller (not included). I also used a plastic tray to pour the coating into. Apply just like paint. Wait 2 hours and apply a second coat.

I let dry overnight. It has a shiny finish and does look different than the stock hardtop texture. I have found it to be extremely durable.

It only added approximately 5 pounds of weight to the hardtop. The hardtop is quieter but I also have a DIY headliner kit installed. To clean, I just wash like normal and blot dry.

• Bonds and seals all surfaces to prevent rust.
• Waterproof, non-flammable (when dry), and resistant to damage from oil, gasoline, solvents and chemicals.
• Flexible—won't chip, flake or peel.
• Can withstand years of heavy-duty use.
• Helps to dampen some of the road noise.
• Used in vehicles like Jeeps and Broncos, it eliminates the ongoing worry about damaging your carpet.
• Makes cleaning up after hauling or four-wheeling much easier, since you can simply rinse out the entire area with water.
• Available in black, gray, red and white.
• Easy enough to do it yourself.
• Within 24 hours the bed liner is fully cured and able to handle whatever you might throw its way. (Curing begins when the Herculiner is exposed to atmospheric moisture. Therefore, with higher humidity, curing time is shorter.)
• Can be applied between 32°F and 95°F... the colder the temperature and the lower the humidity, the longer the curing process will take.
• It's repairable. Just touch it up with more Herculiner... it bonds to itself. Other bed liner coatings would have to be removed to repair gouges.
• Can also be used as an automotive undercoating, for protecting trailers, hitch receivers, grill and trim around headlights, bumpers, door jams, flares, roof racks, mirrors, nerf bars, roll bars, wheel wells, skid plates, ramps, 4x4 tubs, marine decks, walkways, steps and more.
• Bonds to most clean/dry surfaces, including painted or primed steel and adheres quickly to metal, aluminum, concrete, wood, asphalt, plastic, rubber and fiberglass.
• Can be applied with a brush/roller or with a spray compressor.
• Has a long shelf-life... If unopened, a can of Herculiner can be stored for several years.
• Is so professional in appearance, that most people think it's a spray-on bed liner, and that you paid several hundred dollars more than you did.
• Preparation is the key to the entire process and will ultimately determine how long your Herculiner "lasts".
• The satisfaction rate among those who've applied the Herculiner themselves is extremely high.
• Prevents things from sliding around in the back due to its slightly bumpy texture.
• After applying the Herculiner and letting it cure a couple days, you could also go over the entire area with black Rustoleum paint for a shinier finished look.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

That looks AWESOME!

I applied herculiner to the inside tub of my JK and also the grill and hinges. Only problem I've noticed is that it has faded really bad on my grill and I'm sure it will do the same on the top seeing as how much sunlight it will receive. Just a , but I didn't apply a UV coat like you.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

is this the same kit you can find in autozone? i just took all my carpets out since i am tired of vuccuming and am looking it to using this for my inside tub. is the texture rough or smooth to the touch. i would like it to be easy to clean out the tub by just spraying it our and letting it drain out.

however, it does look like you done a great job there.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by texmexjeeper
is this the same kit you can find in autozone? i just took all my carpets out since i am tired of vuccuming and am looking it to using this for my inside tub. is the texture rough or smooth to the touch. i would like it to be easy to clean out the tub by just spraying it our and letting it drain out.

It's rough. Have it in my tub and love it
Old 07-07-2010, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Does Hurc. Fade??
Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by texmexjeeper

I Took out carpet and used U pol Raptor bedliner on mine. Search Raptor bedliner for my write up.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

Yes, it's rough. I don't have any problems cleaning it. I just hose it off.
As for fading, anything black will fade unless it's protected, then it won't fade as much. If it does start fading after a few years, I will just sand it down and apply another coat of UV protection. I read those who have bedliner that is fading can just use the UV coat to restore it.

I plan on using the bedliner product on other parts of my Jeep. I used similar stuff on the underside of my lifted truck. That held up for years, no chipping, easy to clean.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kayak6
I Took out carpet and used U pol Raptor bedliner on mine. Search Raptor bedliner for my write up.
yes, i saw your write up and would love to get this raptor kit, but down here in mexico, i am bound by what i can find here. i havent seen raptor here. we do have all the others, line x, rhino, and the autozone herculiner. tucson is only a 3 hr drive though
Old 07-07-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default Nice idea

I took my Hardtop off and will likely never install it again but if I did, this would be the ticket. I am almost ready to remove all of my carpet and bedliner the entire floor snd inside walls myself.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you apply a relatively thick coat of herculiner to your freedom panels? I like the look of th erear section, but the front parts look kind of goopy to me, nice job though and i'm sure it will last long and keep from scratches.
Is it possible to do this with duplicolor spray on bedliner?

Quick Reply: How to apply textured bed liner product to your hardtop