Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

serpentine belt replacement my 2016 JK

Old 07-29-2019, 02:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serpentine belt replacement my 2016 JK

Ok, I know the initial reaction is- it should be easy, ( someone please tell the Jeep engineers that). On my wife's 3.6L Grand Cherokee, it was 6 minutes using just a 3/8 socket for the tensioner, and a 5/16 for the air intake removal.
On my 2016 JK 3.6L, they decided to use a heavier 'piston' to assist the spring on the tensioner. So you need to first take off the intake tube, then use a 1/2" drive 3' breaker bar to release the tension and then, adding to the adventure- remove the alternator.
This link is my pics and notes- the only thing I would change is that the 5/8 should be a 16mm, but I couldn't find one fast enough.
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Old 07-29-2019, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Thanks for documenting with good pictures! Haven't had to address this yet. How many miles do you have on that '16? Was there something that caused premature wear or was it just time? I'm probably way past normal interval.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, I'm still ticked off about it from when I changed mine, a year ago, and then immediately had to tear it all back apart to replace the water pump. Haha!

I get that they were out of room for the alternator on the correct side of the belt, but that upside down and backwards business is just silly.

Major pain in the rear for what should be about a 6 minute job.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Thanks for documenting with good pictures! Haven't had to address this yet. How many miles do you have on that '16? Was there something that caused premature wear or was it just time? I'm probably way past normal interval.
I've only got 57K on it, but there was enough flex in the belt to warrant changing. Also, living in SWFL, the heat never really subsides here, so that makes them wear faster.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

<pretends that everything will be ok if I just don't look at mine that has 86k miles on it> ugh.
The following users liked this post:
LC Boyer (08-05-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds like you got her done!
Old 08-03-2019, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
<pretends that everything will be ok if I just don't look at mine that has 86k miles on it> ugh.
Ive got the same on mine and have been thinking the same. I'm leaving for Moab and Colorado in 3 weeks and last week I saw 4 belts on the road shredded to hell. Next item to change before I leave is a belt.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to do this job as well, but I caught mine too late. My belt shredded and left me on the side of the road. I thought "well at least its just the belt. That's an easy fix." Not mine!! My belt shredded and took just about everything with it. It took both idler pulleys, power steering pump, and the water pump. And of coarse I didn't replace everything the first time. Replaced the idler pulleys because they were obviously destroyed. Put it all back together and noticed a slow drip of power steering fluid. Then I saw that the pieces of shredded belt lodged its between the pulley and the PS pump which caused it to leak and my engine was running warmer than normal so I replaced my PS pump and Water pump at the same time. FYI: If you replace your power steering pump with stock, GO OEM!!!!. I replaced the pump with an autozone pump, this leaked immediately. Then i replaced it with a rock auto pump that was more money, it didnt leak but it squealed like pig! I then had the jeep in the shop for something unrelated and told them to put an OEM pump and all my problems went away. Life lesson, check belts during my oil changes and replace if I have any questions about it. Never want to go through that again.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am about to change out my belt here in the next couple of weeks. I am sitting at 100k mileage wise, should I be thinking changing any of the pulleys at the same time?
Thanks.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDaPP
I am about to change out my belt here in the next couple of weeks. I am sitting at 100k mileage wise, should I be thinking changing any of the pulleys at the same time?
Thanks.
I would at least inspect the idler pulleys and make sure the bearings in them still feel good. They are cheap and easy to replace so it might be worth while just replacing. I wouldn't worry about the other pulleys like your power steering pump, water pump, and alternator unless they are squealing or leaking.
The following users liked this post:
swizzle (10-27-2019)

Quick Reply: serpentine belt replacement my 2016 JK