Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Inexpensive ready-to-use Onboard Air Build

Old 04-29-2017, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tagged
Old 04-30-2017, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by dahreno
The very first thing on your parts list will probably make you fail your mission. I've had two of the same compressors and it not only will fail to fill your tires up that fast but will also crap out when it get hot, making you wait for cool off. Sorry !
pshh... I used one of the HF compressors for years without issue. Will it be fast. Nope. But I did two things about it being slow and to address the heating... first I took my time. second, I decided that I'm out having fun and so I've no reason to be in a hurry.

I think this a the beginning of a GREAT write-up.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

duplicate post

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-16-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dahreno
The very first thing on your parts list will probably make you fail your mission. I've had two of the same compressors and it not only will fail to fill your tires up that fast but will also crap out when it get hot, making you wait for cool off. Sorry !
Looks like you were wrong on both accounts. The compressors did not overheat and shut down and I was able to fill up all 4 tires in less than 10 minutes.

Tires= (4) BFG TA KO2 315/70/R17 (35in) mounted on 17x9 Wheel
Outside Temperature= 80Deg F
Start Pressure= 15psi
End Pressure= 35psi
Total Fill Time= 9:05

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-13-2019 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Install is complete and timings are in......
Old 07-20-2017, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

I purchased another HF compressor this past 4th of July using their 25% off coupon. $45. I decided to add an additional backup with some added conveniences. See updates in post #8
Old 07-20-2017, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a video not long ago with trailrecon on a 4 tire inflation system. It's not for everyone but it works super fast. The problem with off the shelf air chucks is they create back pressure and force air through a pin hole to increase pressure but not volume. Your not getting your full volume capability out of your compressor that way. With back pressure you are also creating heat. My OBA system doesn't get hot, I can touch my compressor head after filling up all my tires. This also deflates tires just as fast.
I can fill my 37in tires(all 4) from 10psi to 30psi in 2:30 using my shop compressor or 10lbs CO2. Using my smittybilt 5.65cfm OBA system I can do all 4 tire from 15psi to 30psi in 5min

https://youtu.be/bYqeXxEItDI
https://youtu.be/8rGCTwv8eRg
https://youtu.be/NyVahsiY2Bk
Old 07-31-2017, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Default Mount location improvement

Ok, here's an update.

I ran into a couple problems and made some improvements. Not with the compressors, but with where I chose to mount them. I originally tried to put the front of the compressor as close to the mid body mount as possible to provide the switch of the compressor some protection from anything bashing into it. It seems I was a bit over zealous. I put it so close, I ran into 2 problems.

1. I could barely fit my fingers between the compressor and the body mount to be able to turn on the switch.

2. When I was using it to pump up my tires, I must not have fully pushed in the fuse on the compressor on the driver's side. The fuse vibrated loose, and I couldn't fit my hand in there to push it back in, or be able to change the fuse.

Although a PIA drilling holes in the frame, sliding the compressor back about 1" from my original mounting position solved those problems. Additionally, I decided to only use 4 screws instead of 6 to mount the compressor. 2 of them where difficult to get a wrench on, and 4 seems sturdy enough.

Here's an update improvement as far as mounting position with more detail.

The front of the compressor plate should be positioned 1 3/4" from the mid body mount, or the back of the plate should be 3 1/4" from the rear body mount, depending on how you want to measure. You can't go back much further than this because the heat fins of the compressor would then start to come in contact with my side step mounting brackets. This mounting position worked out perfectly, it's now much easier to reach the switch and also be able to reach the fuse on the compressor if I need to change it, or with the problem I ran into...plug it back in.

These are the 4 screws I re-drilled for mounting. I also used some JB weld to fill in the original 6 holes I drilled in the frame rail and painted. It's now much easier to take the compressors on/off if needed since all the screws are easier to reach with an 8mm ratchet wrench. I will need to do the same on the passenger side.

Compressor mounted. Notice the additional space in front of the compressor for being able to access the fuse and power switch. Still plenty of space to clean the air intake filter if needed in the rear as well.

Full view of compressor and hose re-mounted on the driver's side.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like your first water crossing would ruin those compressors. Are they submersible?
Old 08-01-2017, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not only the first water crossing but when it rains. Those compressor are not sealed. Once rust settles in you will start drawing more amps and start blowing fuses or it will just seize up. Great idea but with the wrong compressors and\or location I think.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive ready-to-use Onboard Air Build