Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

CupCake Build 480HP LS3 6L80E in a 2011 JKU

Old 12-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CupCake Build 480HP LS3 6L80E in a 2011 JKU

This is a 2011 Jeep JKU. we are using a GM crate 480HP LS3 and a 6l80E 6 speed automatic transmission.

Im going to try to lay this thread out so you can see what steps are required on a LS swap. Im sure I will miss some and with a severe lack of extra time i may be AWOL for days at a time but feel free to ask questions or request more detailed pictures of certain ares.

Split the Jeep body from the frame. Its pretty simple, there are several threads that details this step and we usually buzz thru this pretty quicks so I don't have very many pictures or details.

Remove Jeep 3.8 engine. Again pretty strait forward. You will want to save the engine harness (c102) coolant sensor and crank sensor as well as the battery harness.

Remove the original engine mounts from the frame. A cutoff wheel or plasma cutter works well here. Be careful not to cut into the frame

Clean up the Jeep frame with a grinding wheel or flapper disk

Install the new LS engine mount plates. (Our LS high clearance plates are used here)

Jeep JK LS Swap Components :: RPM Extreme

Install new transfer case input.

Mate up transferase to transmission using adapter and install everything to the engine. Install as 1 unit.

Install accessory drive system and belt. don't forget to mount the crank sensor first.

Drive shafts are in. currently there are stock buy we will be upgrading them. Stock driveshafts will work with a 5.3 but won't hold up to the power of a 6.2.

We modified the c100 and c102 harnesses and are currently installing the main harness and battery harness.

Hopefully next step will be to drop the body and start welding up exhaust.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looking good. Prefect swap for a 2011.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TripleBJK
Looking good. Prefect swap for a 2011.
yeah I think so too. You get the new interior = NICE and the crappy engine and trans to yank out and sell on the used market.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Former Vendor

Update:
Installed EVAP vent valve, fuel tank pressure sensor and modified Factory valve

Insulated hoses and wires around exhaust and starter.

Routed transmission and transfer case brackets and shifter cables

mocked up our billet exhaust flanges. These make it nice and easy to weld out the exhaust to

Did a little paint touchup on the mounts. This is a good look where the trans cooler lines run too

Lay harness on top of engine and get ready to drop the body

Body is back down

Old 12-31-2014, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

The more pictures of the exhaust work the better. This is my hold up IRT parts, routing, and O2 wiring.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:50 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Spytec128
The more pictures of the exhaust work the better. This is my hold up IRT parts, routing, and O2 wiring.
Here are a few pictures from our last build. It was a 6 speed manual 2wd but the exhaust layout is ver similar. We use pre bent pipe sections, lay it out and use stainless band clamps for most of the exhaust. It makes it really easy to lay out and take apart if you ever need to drop the tranfercase or transmission.

We will be offering a do it yourself kit that will come with the pre bent pipes, cats, o2 bungs and clamps and flanges.

You can use any 2 inlet 2.5" muffler

I will get some better pictures of our current 4wd build as soon as we start on the exhaust.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

What's the cost of this conversion if engine and transmission are supplied by customer?
Old 01-09-2015, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rpmextreme
Here are a few pictures from our last build. It was a 6 speed manual 2wd but the exhaust layout is ver similar. We use pre bent pipe sections, lay it out and use stainless band clamps for most of the exhaust. It makes it really easy to lay out and take apart if you ever need to drop the tranfercase or transmission.

We will be offering a do it yourself kit that will come with the pre bent pipes, cats, o2 bungs and clamps and flanges.

You can use any 2 inlet 2.5" muffler
I will get some better pictures of our current 4wd build as soon as we start on the exhaust.
Did you use the factory manifolds or did you use different ones? Thanks for the pictures they look great!!!
Old 01-11-2015, 04:01 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Spytec128
Did you use the factory manifolds or did you use different ones? Thanks for the pictures they look great!!!
Those are factory LS3 exhaust manifolds that come on the crate engine. Camaro and vette are the same as far as I know.

You can also use the manifolds that come on the trailblazer SS. These are 3 bolt style similar to the truck flanges.

I prefer the ls3 style with 2 bolt flanges.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmextreme
Those are factory LS3 exhaust manifolds that come on the crate engine. Camaro and vette are the same as far as I know. You can also use the manifolds that come on the trailblazer SS. These are 3 bolt style similar to the truck flanges. I prefer the ls3 style with 2 bolt flanges.
I am currently using the trailblazer ss manifolds. Will u be making an exhaust kit to accomodate this setup?

Quick Reply: CupCake Build 480HP LS3 6L80E in a 2011 JKU