Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Installing a Wraparound Windjammer on an Unlimited (4 door).

Old 11-10-2008, 12:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a Wraparound Windjammer on an Unlimited (4 door).

Since I've now recieved about 15 PMs about getting the windjammer to work I thought I'd do a quick mini-write up to save me from typing it repeatedly and so nobody will have to wait on me noticing I've got PMs, etc.

1) This is the wraparound windjammer for the 2dr JK. A search on your favorite Jeeps part site will 4wd.com, Quadratech, etc will lead you right to it.

2) You WILL need soft top door surrounds to run this combo as the windjammer has rails just like the soft top windows that lock into the door surround.

3) No modifications are necessary to get it to work.

4) It will be VERY tight when you first install it. So tight that you might think it will pop out of the door surrounds. I found that it did not pull free from the door surrounds if I didn't lock both seats into place. I raised the seats and allowed them to rest against the windjammer, but did not lock them in place for 3 days, to allow the windjammer to stretch a bit. Notice in the pic, towards the bottom of the windjammer is a crease. There is a matching one on the opposite side. This is a result of the last inch or two of the rail for the windjammer slightly pulling out of the door surround. Mine has not pulled out any further even at highway speeds with the windows down.

5) For best results though (or personal preference) I chose to take an exacto and cut slits in the plastic part of the top of the windjammer (not visible in pics), in the location where the bikini top straps would wrap around the roll bar. Doing this virtually eliminates a small gap that's left if you don't do this. Again, personal preference. Some might not want to cut into their windjammer. The cuts will not have an effect on the structural integrity of the windjammer though.

6) One thing I forgot to mention totally is that the windjammer has flaps that on the 2door I believe get tied down to the bottom of the rear seats. I chose not to cut these out, but instead I took them and under the duster, ran them to the roll bars in the tub and strapped them to those, pulling them taught. Again, this isn't really necessary, but when I first installed it, I was worried that the windjammer would pull free from the door surrounds on the highway and I wanted as much protection against it flying away or flapping around and beating the heck out of the sides of the JK. Now, even if they did pop off, the thing wouldn't really be able to go anywhere.

7) Edit: I did forget to mention that to run the safety belts into the cabin you must unbolt them, and rebolt them. Very simple and easy to do. If you need it explained how to do this step, perhaps trade in the jeep and try riding the short little yellow bus. And don't forget your helmet! J/K

So, there you have it, a complete description of how to get the wraparound windjammer onto an Unlimited. If you're currently experiencing sub 70 degree weather, good luck getting the fabric to stretch enough to get this to work properly. Oh and as a tip with any bestop product I pop them in the dryer prior to installing. It really softens up the fabric and makes it much easier to get anything on the first time during the season. The dryer did not damage the window of the duster by the way, but I'm sure all that tumbling probably left surface scratches. I didn't notice any though. Oh and visibility out the rear window will be greatly reduced as the window area on this duster is pretty small.

Why bestop hasn't designed one for the 4door is beyond me, as it would be incredibly simple using this one as a template. 1" extra fabric on each side to allow for easy install into the door surrounds and increasing the size of the window would be a big help as well. So Bestop if you're reading this, you're missing out by not making it happen!

Last edited by SaharaBlackNo1; 11-10-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Your running the Best Top Safari Top right ?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

No, I spent the extra money and went with the Mopar/Jeep one. I liked that it was all one piece. I've been really pleased with it. No flapping, etc (although I think bestop might have fixed that with their version).
Old 11-10-2008, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

So a list of all the parts needed would be:
Bestop Duster Deck cover
Bestop Wraparound Windjammer for 2 door
MOPAR Sun Bonnet
And all the door surrounds for the soft top ?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:13 PM
JK Junkie

That really looks good and as you mentioned, after it's on for a while will probably stretch a little so it will have a better fit.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by VETTE277
So a list of all the parts needed would be:
Bestop Duster Deck cover
Bestop Wraparound Windjammer for 2 door
MOPAR Sun Bonnet
And all the door surrounds for the soft top ?
Yes, exactly right Vette. You can of course use the Bestop Sun Bonnet/ Bikini top. I just liked the idea that my Mopar one is one piece.

Oh and also, for the Duster, you'll need the Tailgate bar and the two plastic pieces. Basically everything you'd need to install the soft top.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Deff gonna look into doing this, thanks for putting all this info up and answering questions.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good job man looks good...
Old 11-10-2008, 06:31 PM
JK Super Freak

looks good

but put the hardtop back on, its freaking cold here now
Old 11-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Looks great!!! I own a 2dr and have 1 question though. Did you cut the slots in the jammer for your belts to run into the cab? If not what the heck would us 2dr's use those for

Quick Reply: Installing a Wraparound Windjammer on an Unlimited (4 door).