Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Jeep JK Front/ Rear Fender Removal

Old 08-14-2012, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeep JK Front/ Rear Fender Removal

After spending far too long looking for a decent straight forward write up on how to do this I decided to just go out and give it a whirl. It really is simple once you get in there and get the first one off.

Front Fender:

First, there are 3 black pins that hold the fender in there that you will need to remove by getting a knife under the head of it and getting it loose enough to get a pair of pliers under there ,preferably needle nose. of course you could just cut them off the fender but I read somewhere that the dealership charges you $5.75 per so try to save what you can.

Second, there are some 10mm screws on there that need to be removed, I believe there was 4 of them per front fender.

Third, once you have everything else removed there are clips that hold it tight to the frame of the fender you can yank, hard, upward from the bottom of the fender where your running boards would go and you will get the first couple loose and from there you can stick your hand in between the fender and body and yank it all off upward.

Last, there is a blinker light on the front fender and from inside the fender just trace the wire back to it source and you will need to pinch the connector and pull at the same time and it should come loose.

Back Fender:

Very much like the front fenders if not easier, for me, there are no screws and no lights to disconnect, just those damn pins.
However these pins seem more likely to break especially the two towards the bottom of the wheel well. once these are all removed you just yank upward just like on the front fenders and the whole thing will come out.

Finally, the clips that attach the fenders to the body of your jeep just need to be pinched form the inside of the wheel well and should be pulled out easily.

There you go now your jeep has no fenders and you have that much more clearance, i did this to mine because I had rubbing with my 33'' duratracs especially in the rear on the simplest of trails.

PS you might want a few bears for this its a little frustrating but the whole thing took me about 45min. The word of the day is YANK.

I hope you find this post helpful and please feel free to comment and add anything I left out.

AggressivePooch

Last edited by AggressivePooch; 08-15-2012 at 03:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JKU_Ringo (12-09-2022)
Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that - I'm installing my PSC front/rear fenders in a couple weeks after they get back from the body shop and was wondering how tough it's going to be to take off the stock ones.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have you never heard of a site called project jk?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:17 AM
JK-Forum Editor

Default How-To Tuesday

Great topic for this week's How-To Spotlight...
Jeep Wrangler JK 2007 to Present How to Remove Front Rear Fenders - Jk-Forum
Old 02-10-2019, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Default fenders

Anyone running no fenders at all?
Old 02-11-2019, 05:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by 08xjk
Anyone running no fenders at all?
I run fenderless. The look is definitely not for everyone. I have the GenRight fender deletes which are essentially just flat aluminum stock to clean up the area the fenders attach. The fronts were easy to install, the rears were a pain in the ass. I'm topless most of the year since my jeep is no longer a DD. have a 3.5" BS wheels so my tires stick out a good bit, and there's less junk thrown up on the side of the jeep than you'd imagine. If I hit a small puddle or am on a wet road while making a turn, the front tires will provide a few sprinkles to the driver or passenger (depending on which direction turn), but it's not much nor a big deal. If you wheel, it's nice to have one less thing to worry about damaging with the extra clearance. The downside I've seen is you have to be VERY careful driving on gravel. Anything over 20mph and you're flinging rocks all over the place, specially if you have MT tires. I've taken out a couple side mirrors as stones fly forward off the rear tires and hit the mirror. The biggest hurdle to running fenderless is chopping off the front fender support that sticks out.

Last edited by resharp001; 02-11-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Default Fenders

Ok cool thanks for the advice
Old 03-25-2019, 07:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Fender less as well here with the Genright flare deletes. I've been running them for almost a year now and don't regret it for a second. Love the flareless look.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo383.jpg
Views:	6867
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	677353  
Old 03-26-2019, 08:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I think this summer will be 3 full years for me being fenderless. Still no real regrets. From a wheelin' perspective I love it. I can tell my tires have worn down a bit as I don't fling as many rocks as I used to. I'm topless most of the time, so just have to be a little more careful hitting puddles or I take on a few sprinkles.

Quick Reply: Jeep JK Front/ Rear Fender Removal