Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Jeep jk wrangler 730n/rhr radio installation write-up

Old 10-12-2015, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WxNerd2015
Also, depending on your unit, the navigation will either be provided by Navteq (730) or Garmin (430). This is the main difference in navigation between the two. And I will be adding a few posts about the radio functions as well soon, so you can look for that for some of the features, as if you do have a 730, it will match very closely then!
Well now I kind of want the UConnect, I stream audio all the time using a bluetooth receiver that connects to the auxiliary port so having it built in will be very nice. The more you explain the differences between the 430 and 730 the more I'm hoping its the latter. Otherwise I'll have to buy the UConnect module along with the satellite antenna and microphone. A little more money but I think I got a good deal on the radio (whether its 430 or 730) so I can justify the extra expenses.

I'm not familiar with Navteq, I've only had Garmin but I've been happy with it but voice command is another feature that sounds really nice to have. We'll see what I get soon enough. Thanks again for the info
Old 10-12-2015, 08:16 PM
JK Newbie

Also, depending on your unit, the navigation will either be provided by Navteq (730) or Garmin (430). This is the main difference in navigation between the two. And I will be adding a few posts about the radio functions as well soon, so you can look for that for some of the features, as if you do have a 730, it will match very closely then!
Also found this somewhere else

"The only programming you'll need is if you buy a used 430N they are locked to the vehicle they were installed in and for you to install it you will need the 4 digit code after plugging it in. The original owner would need to work with the dealer to get that to you. Without that code the unit is a brick."

Does that sound right?
Old 10-13-2015, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by albertmald9
Well now I kind of want the UConnect, I stream audio all the time using a bluetooth receiver that connects to the auxiliary port so having it built in will be very nice. The more you explain the differences between the 430 and 730 the more I'm hoping its the latter. Otherwise I'll have to buy the UConnect module along with the satellite antenna and microphone. A little more money but I think I got a good deal on the radio (whether its 430 or 730) so I can justify the extra expenses.

I'm not familiar with Navteq, I've only had Garmin but I've been happy with it but voice command is another feature that sounds really nice to have. We'll see what I get soon enough. Thanks again for the info
Yeah, overall the UConnect is a nice feature to have handy for streaming and quick tuning commands and all that without looking too much, and just fun to play with! Its not as refined and detailed as Ford's Sync system, however, it more than does the job I believe! And it is a very nice feature to have! Navteq's maps look a bit different, different color scheme, and are a bit more detailed than Garmin's maps I believe. The Garmin operation is like they took the Garmin unit you put in the windshield, and now it's just displayed on the radio! Either way you will get good navigation, but the other plus with the 730 with the Navteq is the ability to run split screen with the audio input on the left and the map on the right! With the 430, you can only display either one of the other, not both!

No problem! Happy to help!
Old 10-13-2015, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also found this somewhere else

"The only programming you'll need is if you buy a used 430N they are locked to the vehicle they were installed in and for you to install it you will need the 4 digit code after plugging it in. The original owner would need to work with the dealer to get that to you. Without that code the unit is a brick."

Does that sound right?
Yes and no. In all of my research and understand, the security code linking the radio to the original vehicle was not started until late 2011 to 2012 model years, until current. My radio needed no such security code and had no security or anti-theft system on it. Some do, however back in 2007, I do not believe there should be any anti-theft code needed. I would maybe double check with the seller that he did not have one and keep the record of where you got the radio from, just in case you have to run to the dealer to have then unlock it, but for a 2007 there should be no issue!

Also, if for some reason there is a code needed, which i do not believe there will be one, here is a site to save you the trip to the dealer that can generate a new code for your radio and allow it to be unlocked and linked to your vehicle. It is $35, step by step on how to do it, and they have said that their turn around is usually within 30 minutes, but could be up to 1 day. Make sure you have a picture or have written down somewhere the radio's S/N to use for this site if needed and not have to tear things apart too many times on your dash! Here is the site:

Dodge - Chrysler radio code

Hopefully that helps answer your question!
The following users liked this post:
RoadBoss (09-22-2021)
Old 10-13-2015, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also, this may be a good site to check out as well, just to help you understand some of the features and functions of each radio itself depending on which you receive! I will do a write up on my RHR, but that is only one of many, though the RER and RHR are pretty close! This could come in great handy for you learning all the functions!

Owners - Quality Home

And here is the link for the 730 (RER):
Owners - Quality - Media Center 730N (RER)

And here is the link for the 730 (RHR):
Owners - Quality - Media Center 730N (RHR)

And here is the link for the 430 (RBZ):
Owners - Quality - Media Center 430 (RBZ)

These would be the three most common, but there are others on there that you can click around and see for yourself!
Old 10-13-2015, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

And you may also look in to adding some of the "infotainmet" package on to your navigation radio if you would like! All of the navigation radios will receive Sirius satellite radio, which also means that they will accept the Sirius travel link and traffic packages. I do not know if you use Sirius Satellite radio, but I travel a lot through many different states and it is nice to not have to constantly search for stations for me, but I also have both of the other packages, which provide cool features like real time traffic updates, and your routes will update to avoid traffic, as well as gas station locations with one click with type of fuel and prices, and weather forecasts and maps! Here is the link if you want to check it out and see if it is something that you may be interested in:

SiriusXM Infotainment - SiriusXM Radio
Old 10-13-2015, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

And last thought, if your radio is coming from a 2007, chances are, the firmware and gracenote software has not been updated since 2007 when it was new! Not many people take the time to do it, and it is not needed, however, there are new features added and bug fixes and stuff like that that just make it run a bit smoother, and my last update to mine gave me access to the weather maps function which is really cool! (Sorry, I am a weather nerd! Hence my screen name here! And being a storm chaser, it is useful in low cell coverage areas!) This site was shown to me by the guys at OEM Auto Parts Co. Your are able to run the updates for both firmware and gracenote yourself without having to schedule an appointment at the dealer, wait 2-4 hours, and pay over $100 to have done! Here is the site:

NavRepair | Quality Factory Automobile Navigation Radio Solutions

Scroll down until you see downloads, with the word free next to it and an arrow pointing at downloads. Click that, and scroll until you see the proper radio code that you see on the bottom right of the face of your radio, then find the most up to date gracenote and firmware, and read the directions and follow what to do! And that is all for free! This will be a write up of it's own soon!

A couple disclaimers, some of the models of radio, you cannot just jump to the newest version, sometimes you have to run multiple updates to get to the newest, depending on how many updates have been released and when the last time yours was updated. Also, you have to run the firmware update before you run the gracenote update. And lastly, I used a DVD-RW to burn the files to and insert, however, I have a mac and a pc, my mac has not CD/DVD drive so I had to burn from my pc, however the Chrysler radios do not like the built in windows burning software, so I found another site that had some extra tips on how to burn (Download Now | MyGig RHR 2.600 Software Update | RHR Disk-Recovery-Image) which had a link to a different burning software express burn, which the download is right on the page, and that was able to work for me! And lastly, when burning the update, you cannot use the disc as a USB, as the radio will not take it, you must actually burn and "close the door" to the disc fo rit to work properly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckVBNmFZWvE I know that sounds complicated, and it is not a must do, but it really is actually not that hard, and it is always good to make sure software on all devices is up to date!

Last edited by WxNerd2015; 10-13-2015 at 05:03 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

I know that sounds complicated, and it is not a must do, but it really is actually not that hard, and it is always good to make sure software on all devices is up to date!
Wow thanks for all that info! The last thing I was reading before bed last night was how people have managed to update the firmware and it honestly stressed me out. Not because I had to do it manually but because the threads I read were all at least 2 years old and I did not want to invest all the time into the process only to have it fail (like many people have reported). So thanks for that! I like to keep all my devices up to date with the most current software/firmware so I'll be doing that with the mygig. I'm pretty tech savvy so I should manage but I'll reach out to you if I hit any bumps in the road.

I'll probably go home during lunch to see which model mygig I got haha, pretty excited to take this project on.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow thanks for all that info! The last thing I was reading before bed last night was how people have managed to update the firmware and it honestly stressed me out. Not because I had to do it manually but because the threads I read were all at least 2 years old and I did not want to invest all the time into the process only to have it fail (like many people have reported). So thanks for that! I like to keep all my devices up to date with the most current software/firmware so I'll be doing that with the mygig. I'm pretty tech savvy so I should manage but I'll reach out to you if I hit any bumps in the road.

I'll probably go home during lunch to see which model mygig I got haha, pretty excited to take this project on.
Well, you own a Jeep, so new toys are always fun! And yeah, I saw a lot of issue people had had with update and all that, but I like having everything up to date, cuz usually there is a reason that there is an update, so The guys at OEM there were of great help and the instructions between those other two sites were more than enough that with just a little bit of "techsavyness" you could easily do it! I will say set aside a few hours at least for the update as it may take a couple tries to get the first disc burned correctly for the radio to accept, read, and understand it, but once you have that figured out, you just insert the disc and the radio takes care of the rest itself! However, each update is done separate, that being firmware, then gracenote, and each does take a while to fully install. Mine was about an hour and a half total once I got the burning of the disc correct! It is 100% possible though and can be done without too much effort! So good luck to you!

And definitely, if yo uneed anymore help, go ahead and ask more questions, I will usually respond fairly quickly!
Old 10-13-2015, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Well, you own a Jeep, so new toys are always fun! And yeah, I saw a lot of issue people had had with update and all that, but I like having everything up to date, cuz usually there is a reason that there is an update, so The guys at OEM there were of great help and the instructions between those other two sites were more than enough that with just a little bit of "techsavyness" you could easily do it! I will say set aside a few hours at least for the update as it may take a couple tries to get the first disc burned correctly for the radio to accept, read, and understand it, but once you have that figured out, you just insert the disc and the radio takes care of the rest itself! However, each update is done separate, that being firmware, then gracenote, and each does take a while to fully install. Mine was about an hour and a half total once I got the burning of the disc correct! It is 100% possible though and can be done without too much effort! So good luck to you!

And definitely, if yo uneed anymore help, go ahead and ask more questions, I will usually respond fairly quickly!
Well I just got it and I'm not sure how I feel. First, the package had to bubble wrap, packing foam, nothing. The radio looks fine but we'll see if it works.
The model is 6825/6826 and the front says REN. Based on a quite frantic search, I'm concluding that this isn't even a navigation unit, am I wrong?

Quick Reply: Jeep jk wrangler 730n/rhr radio installation write-up