Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Jeep won't start - clicking sounds, but won't turn over

Old 06-18-2018, 10:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BBK789
Hi all,

My 2012 Jeep has 55k miles on it. Currently when I try to start it up, I just get a clicking noise. I've tried jumping it with no luck. I took the battery to be tested and it checked out just fine. I then had them charge the battery. They tested it once more after charging & said it was fine. After putting the battery back in the Jeep, it still just clicks, and still won't turn over even with a jump start.

I realized even after the battery having been charged, the dome lights are a little dim when I open the door.

I did manage to get it started with a jump twice, going to work yesterday (and returning home). I noticed on the way home that my headlights were flickering a tiny bit.

Any ideas on something to try?

Any help is appreciated.
You have a bad connection with one of your battery cables some where. Do not assume it is a loose connection, it could be corroded or burnt connection or just plain be loose.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Default Goldielocks224

I opened up the hatchback because that light was staying on for some reason and I found a wire that was melted to the side of my Jeep it had a short in it and I was also missing a lightbulb under my steering wheel. I had to go get it professionally fixed my wish I could have done it myself but I don't know anybody in Morganton North Carolina or in Marion North Carolina.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

Default appreciate the ground cable idea

Originally Posted by Badkarma5
Your particular problem i had with mine as well and my co-worker had it as well. The reason yours starts in neutral it because the transmission position sensor gets worn or dirty and develops a bad ground. With a bad ground, the computer thinks you are trying to start the jeep in drive, so it wont start. The only way to fix the sensor ground is to go into the tranny and replace or clean the contacts. The remedy is to run a 10 or 12 gauge ground wire from the neg battery terminal to the black bracket that bolts to the top of your alternator. I added a second one from the neg terminal to the tranny housing. This fix grounds the tranny better and fixes the problem. try it, it works great!
I ran a ground cable from battery to alt bracket and it seems to have fixed my issue. I haven't done the tranny as of yet..just wanted to see if it helps at all. Oddly enough similar problem with my boat and a new ground helped that as well

Quick Reply: Jeep won't start - clicking sounds, but won't turn over