Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

JK Factory Fender Chop Write-Up

Old 02-11-2009, 08:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up JK Factory Fender Chop Write-Up

Even after installing a tall suspension lift, fender rub is a common problem that many Jeep owners suffer from especially if you’re running wide tires and/or have wheels with very little backspacing. Now, the easy answer to fixing this problem would be to install taller bump stop extensions, add more suspension lift or maybe install a body lift. However, by going higher, you also raise your Jeep’s center of gravity and that isn’t going to do a whole lot to help you out on the trail. So, what is one to do? I say, chop your fenders!

Of all the mods you can do to your Jeep JK Wrangler, chopping your fenders is by far one of the easiest ones you can do and will offer you as much as 3.5" of fender clearance! In other words, with chopped fenders, you can practically run 35" tires without any lift at all. And, bigger tires with less lift equals a lower center of gravity and that’s something that every serious wheeler should want. And, unlike hard plastic aftermarket fender or steel tube fenders, these chopped fenders will still give, flex and/or pop off your Jeep when hit as opposed to doing damage to the body as the others WILL. Of course, the best part of all this is that it costs next to nothing to do and as an added bonus, it will give your Jeep a customizable bad ass new look.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:25 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by joepile
looks great and a nice write up, but i dont think it mentioned where to get the amber dash light that you used to replace the side markers....

or did i just miss it?
it's listed with a pic of what it looks like in the left hand column of the write-up
Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write up Eddie. I have been wanting to do this but haven't felt comfortable enough to start cutting. I will definitely be doing this in the next couple of weeks.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thansk for the write up, anyone chop their painted fenders?
Old 02-11-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks great. That is almost enough to make me do it!
Old 02-11-2009, 04:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Canada17
Thansk for the write up, anyone chop their painted fenders?
OffTopic has,they look awesome
Old 08-23-2009, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

On my list of FREE things to do. Havent decided on what shape to chop to. Thanks for the write-up
Old 02-11-2012, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife

Even after installing a tall suspension lift, fender rub is a common problem that many Jeep owners suffer from especially if you’re running wide tires and/or have wheels with very little backspacing. Now, the easy answer to fixing this problem would be to install taller bump stop extensions, add more suspension lift or maybe install a body lift. However, by going higher, you also raise your Jeep’s center of gravity and that isn’t going to do a whole lot to help you out on the trail. So, what is one to do? I say, chop your fenders!

Of all the mods you can do to your Jeep JK Wrangler, chopping your fenders is by far one of the easiest ones you can do and will offer you as much as 3.5" of fender clearance! In other words, with chopped fenders, you can practically run 35" tires without any lift at all. And, bigger tires with less lift equals a lower center of gravity and that’s something that every serious wheeler should want. And, unlike hard plastic aftermarket fender or steel tube fenders, these chopped fenders will still give, flex and/or pop off your Jeep when hit as opposed to doing damage to the body as the others WILL. Of course, the best part of all this is that it costs next to nothing to do and as an added bonus, it will give your Jeep a customizable bad ass new look.

Can I ask you the measure that you took to chop yours because I'd like to get mine cut the same size?

Quick Reply: JK Factory Fender Chop Write-Up