Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

flush tail lights.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flush tail lights.

I got tired of breaking tail lights, so I decided to put flush mounted LEDs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20160712_213357.png
Views:	861
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	652188   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20160712_213415.png
Views:	824
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	652189   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20160712_213422.png
Views:	998
Size:	399.0 KB
ID:	652190   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20160712_213435.png
Views:	1045
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	652191  
Old 07-13-2016, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

That is awesome! Cant wait to see how this finishes up.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by minimight
That is awesome! Cant wait to see how this finishes up.
Curious too..... Maybe with the money you save in the long run (not having to replace the smashed ones anymore) take driving lessons or use it ($) for a back up camera .... Just say'n
Old 07-13-2016, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Curious too..... Maybe with the money you save in the long run (not having to replace the smashed ones anymore) take driving lessons or use it ($) for a back up camera .... Just say'n
Ur a regular comedian, thanks for the advice. So I'm guessing u wheel with no armor, protection, or upgrades since you have a back up camera and took drivers ed?
Old 07-13-2016, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Originally Posted by outlaw26
Ur a regular comedian, thanks for the advice. So I'm guessing u wheel with no armor, protection, or upgrades since you have a back up camera and took drivers ed?
Relax.....it was a light ribbing and all in good fun!

Great idea on nixing the OEM taillights. They are big and bulky and definitely prone to damage during wheeling. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the route you took, but I will say it's definitely minimalistic. And certainly different from anything else I've seen, so props to you for branching out. I'm just more a fan of traditional-type styling. Which is why I opted for the round Truck-Lite LED's when I ordered up my Poison Spyder corners. But good on ya' for making it your own, bud!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't notice the small brake lights you added.... I thought you filled in the panel and was going to cut a hole in it to put in a round tail light...
Your idea works too though. Never seen it before that's for sure. Post up a picture of them lighted at night will ya?
Old 07-13-2016, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RubiBus

Relax.....it was a light ribbing and all in good fun!

Great idea on nixing the OEM taillights. They are big and bulky and definitely prone to damage during wheeling. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the route you took, but I will say it's definitely minimalistic. And certainly different from anything else I've seen, so props to you for branching out. I'm just more a fan of traditional-type styling. Which is why I opted for the round Truck-Lite LED's when I ordered up my Poison Spyder corners. But good on ya' for making it your own, bud!
Sorry I took that the wrong way. I'd prefer the traditional style but not a fan of who they point to the outside a lil bit because of the curve of the sheet metal. The only other thing would be to French them in a bucket which I considered also, but wanted to try something new.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I didn't notice the small brake lights you added.... I thought you filled in the panel and was going to cut a hole in it to put in a round tail light...
Your idea works too though. Never seen it before that's for sure. Post up a picture of them lighted at night will ya?
I sure will, I'm waiting on a buddy who paints better than me to come smooth it out and spray it for me.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I admire your own work for an individual and unique design. I'm curious why the small 1" LEDs and not a single, more visual-from-behind 4"-6" diameter brake light ?
Old 07-14-2016, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

I chose the small lights over the larger ones for fitment purposes. Im not a big fan of how the 4-6" lights look as they point off to the side a little because of the radius of the rear corner. Using the small LEDs I was able to fit them on a flat surface pointing straight back. I just wanted a clean simple look that is hopefully out of harm's way.

Quick Reply: flush tail lights.