Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

JK Throttle Body Removal/Cleaning

Old 11-24-2009, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the air flow sensor - is that the one in the tube from the air filter assembly to the throttle body? Can't find another one but I thought I read it was past the T.B......
Old 11-25-2009, 05:29 AM
JK Freak

Default Master Mechanics opinion wanted please!!

Ok,

So I saw this post a few days ago and I am having a rough idle with my wife 05 JGC with 75k on it. I was going to do this, but I was at the dealer (a great dealer which I trust to give me the straight scoop) they know I do all my own maintanence He told me my TB needs cleaning baddly. I told him I just saw a write up on it and know how to do it. He said do not do it! He said the engine needs to be re-flashed once the TB has been cleaneed or the jeep is likely to stall out. He said he has jeeps towed there all the time and they know right off the bayt that the customer tried to clean the TB themselves. WHile they may have done a fine job on the TB the computer was not addressed and now the engine will not stay running. So not to be a JOYKILL but someone please answer this with knowledge of the computer. I see that others have done it successfully and are on the road, but that is not enough empirical evidence for me, I want to know is there validity to this? Many a times I have been a penny wize and a pound foolish... So please before I do this on both of my Jeeps someone who knows chime in here.

dan
Old 11-25-2009, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dwikto
Ok,

So I saw this post a few days ago and I am having a rough idle with my wife 05 JGC with 75k on it. I was going to do this, but I was at the dealer (a great dealer which I trust to give me the straight scoop) they know I do all my own maintanence He told me my TB needs cleaning baddly. I told him I just saw a write up on it and know how to do it. He said do not do it! He said the engine needs to be re-flashed once the TB has been cleaneed or the jeep is likely to stall out. He said he has jeeps towed there all the time and they know right off the bayt that the customer tried to clean the TB themselves. WHile they may have done a fine job on the TB the computer was not addressed and now the engine will not stay running. So not to be a JOYKILL but someone please answer this with knowledge of the computer. I see that others have done it successfully and are on the road, but that is not enough empirical evidence for me, I want to know is there validity to this? Many a times I have been a penny wize and a pound foolish... So please before I do this on both of my Jeeps someone who knows chime in here.

dan
Your dealer is full of poo poo ka ka

It might take a few miles for your computer to readjust after the cleaning, but nothing as drastic as it wouldn't stay runnin.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:56 AM
JK Freak

I appreciate your opinion and am leaning toward doing this myself, but my dealer has not steared me wrong before and like I said before they know i do my own maintenance. So are you speaking from a technical expertise when you say dealer is POO POO KA KA ridden or just your opinion?
Old 11-25-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Ran better immediately

I cleaned mine out last weekend and it ran better immediately. Not sure why the dealer would say it will stall out. If anything the computer should adjust to the changes in O2 level.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dwikto
I appreciate your opinion and am leaning toward doing this myself, but my dealer has not steared me wrong before and like I said before they know i do my own maintenance. So are you speaking from a technical expertise when you say dealer is POO POO KA KA ridden or just your opinion?
Just many years of working around finicky ECU's, throttle bodies, and fuel injection. If it was some sort of a cable throttle system then it would be easy to screw something up......but its not, its throttle by wire. Thats part of the appeal.....the ability to disassemble it, check things out, and put it back together without having to mess with throttle or idle settings.

Technically its still just my opinion, but I'd put it up against a service adviser at a dealership any day. If I heard it from a certified master mechanic, followed by an explanation as to WHY it would screw something up, then I'd be all ears.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

nealxam - how did it run after the cleaning? It looks like there was a lot of gunk to clean so I would imagine you notice an improvement.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:17 AM
db1
JK Enthusiast

Hey Guys.

I've got some Napa Carb, Choke and Thottle Body Cleaner. Is this ok to use for this?
Old 11-27-2009, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Guys, I'm pretty sure the sensor in the intake is only for temp, not a MAS. Not sure how this changes what cleaner you choose to use or if it needs cleaning at all.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

As just it’s mentioned at step 7 on the K&N installation instructions of KN63-1553 filter

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sensor.jpg
Views:	4432
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	33392  

Quick Reply: JK Throttle Body Removal/Cleaning