JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Write-Ups (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/)
-   -   Kargo master install (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/kargo-master-install-30769/)

flemgunner 03-01-2008 01:07 PM

Kargo master install

Ok so just finished installing my new Kargo master rack and Im gonna share some pointers. I took some pix but Im on dial up and dont have the 2-3 hours to load em.
If anyone wants something specific just let me know.
BTW I did this by myself. I strongly suggest getting some extra hands on this.
OK
1. Buy a tube of silicone as the one that comes with it will have exploded in shipping
2. read all the directions and make sure you have all the parts
3. Throw the directions away
4. Kick yourself in the nuts

Ok now you are ready.

Start lining up everything the way it looks in the pictures on the net and just kind of wing it.
There are some parts you will have to take off then redo. Like the front bars are angled but they dont tell you what way to put it on (trail and error here). They also make no reference at all to the small bushings included in the kit but its fairly obvious where they go. Getting the top bars in will require you to take off the front bars so if ya screwed em up this would be a good time to fix em.

Basically the hard part is lining everything up. when doing this alone you have to build it on the jeep as when its together its real heavy.
It does appear to be exactly what I wanted in a rack though. So if ya dont mind a giant PITA I recommend it
Glenn

brattwurzt 03-01-2008 01:21 PM

That's funny :bleh:

How much of a pain in the A$$ is it to tilt back? When you do, does it stop at a point, so you can then lower the soft top without having someone hold the cage?

Did you mount a rack?

brattwurzt 03-01-2008 01:25 PM

Congo Cage Assembly Instructions

I found these instruction on Quadratec's website.

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/94195.pdf

I see you get some sort of "Prop rods" to hold up the rack.

flemgunner 03-01-2008 02:58 PM

I havent tilted it back yet (except to install the top tubes) but the easiest way I can see to do it is to unbolt the bottom 2 bolts (3/4" i think) and lift. It will stop when it hits the license plate.
As for a "hold up bar" or whatever it talks about it in the directions. It doesnt say its included though. I didnt get one.
However they dont list a few things.
My guess is you have to make it out of a stick but thats not in the instructions either
Glenn

brattwurzt 03-01-2008 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by flemgunner (Post 366370)
I havent tilted it back yet (except to install the top tubes) but the easiest way I can see to do it is to unbolt the bottom 2 bolts (3/4" i think) and lift. It will stop when it hits the license plate.
As for a "hold up bar" or whatever it talks about it in the directions. It doesnt say its included though. I didnt get one.
However they dont list a few things.
My guess is you have to make it out of a stick but thats not in the instructions either
Glenn

I would call them. It clearly states that is it a "Prop rod". They say, "use the prop rod"

huskyfargo 03-02-2008 04:19 AM

I have a slightly used Kargo Master for sale. I had it on for three weeks and decided I want to do something different.

IndianaJK 03-02-2008 05:46 AM

:worthless:

PoloCruz 03-02-2008 06:09 AM

Congo Cage... PITA!!!

Glenn,

I installed mine yesterday too... took 3 hours, solo. I agree, the instructions are definitely not the most helpful. It doesn't say that there are left/right versions of the legs and had to disassemble and remount/rotate things.

Question for you. The roof bars seem like they're an inch too long, cause when I lower the assembly the front "legs" drop past the windshield mounts. I had to force them back so I can put in the bolt.

Am I missing something?

Paolo

flemgunner 03-02-2008 06:23 AM

I dont think you are missing anything it does the same with mine. Of course there could be another issue in the instructions that isnt covered.
BTW did yours come with the "hold up stick thingy"?
Glenn

Oh yeah when going down the road at 60-70 you get a cool Wwoooo..wwwoooo, noise. Its kind of relaxing. To canx it out I just turned my radio from 20 to 23
Glenn (again)

2K1TJ 03-02-2008 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by huskyfargo (Post 366878)
I have a slightly used Kargo Master for sale. I had it on for three weeks and decided I want to do something different.

How much? Do you have the basket too or just the rack?