Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Line-X, or a bad way to spend a week (Warning for dial-up)

Old 10-13-2007, 08:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josephus
That looks great. How many hours of prep time did you put into it before you drove it in? Also, Can you get the color close to factory?
I entertain the idea of shooting the whole thing - inside and out. I don't really care too much about smooth shiney paint, I just want impregnable bodywork.
Now that would be sweet! If they could match rescue green, I'd want my whole body done, inside and out. or maybe black inside and rescue green outside. I was thinking of doing this myself with the roll on Hurculiner stuff, but maybe that would be just way too time consuming?

oh by they way McNinja, it looks awesome!
Old 10-13-2007, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

^ wow You want to linex the whole body inside and out . Thats pretty crazy. Post pics up if you do. Back on topic, that looks awesome man. great job I would love to do it I just need to enjoy it the way it sits right now, after waiting 5 months for the rubi I can't think about it being down for a week. maybe later but not now. nice jod. I too like the look of the hard top railing lined as well. I may have to borrow that idea.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:10 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't know how well they can match colors, but I do know that colors cost more. There is a guy here who matched his greystone pretty well, but rescue green is a little strange to match. Any metallic tinting can't be matched.

To Rubijon, it wasn't down the week, it was just a week of me waiting and taking off pieces one at a time. If you wanted it cheap, you might be able to take it all apart one night, give it to the Line-X/Rhino guys the next morning, and have it back that night to put it together. I reassembled it in probably 2.5 hours once I got it home.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-RUBIJON
^ wow You want to linex the whole body inside and out . Thats pretty crazy. Post pics up if you do. Back on topic, that looks awesome man. great job I would love to do it I just need to enjoy it the way it sits right now, after waiting 5 months for the rubi I can't think about it being down for a week. maybe later but not now. nice jod. I too like the look of the hard top railing lined as well. I may have to borrow that idea.
after you get enough "red neck pin stripes" from trees and stuff, you too will wish you had some Line-X on your outside I wheel with some dudes that have Hurculined their rigs, looks nasty, but they don't get the scratches I do. so I bet Line-X would be much stronger, I've heard that you can take your car keys and scratch the line-x and it not show any marks at all!
Old 10-13-2007, 08:16 PM
JK Super Freak

McNinja, did you do anything special to the wires that run down the pass. side after you put it all back together? or just leave them attached as they are stock? I was just thinking that my son would probably catch his feet or something on them getting in or out (he sits in the pass. rear side). Or did you put the plastic pieces back on the floor near the door?

I really need this done so I can get rid of the carpet, my son has really bad allergies and after a weekend on the trails with the top off, we get a full ecosystem of stuff he is allergic to all in the carpets. it would be nice to air off or hose down if needed.

again, looks awesome man!
Old 10-13-2007, 08:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Nothing special about the wiring, just put it back like stock (with the plastic Jeep provides). They are flush with the floor, and fit under the door sill (as seen in this pic) so tripping on them would be tough. I'm sure it could be done though. I tend to think Jeep could have included another 12 inches of plastic up to the rear tire tub to finish out the interior personally.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default hard top rail

Looks great, McNinja,

I had my CJ tub line-x'd inside in graystone. My question is, will your hard top seal with the 'over the rail' spray? I love the way it looks, but did not know if the hard top would be affected by the over the rail spray.

Great job, this is on my list of future mods.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks awesome and I am wanting to do this bad. I have a question though. Would doing the outer belt thing mess up the fit of a hardtop?

edit: ha, I just noticed swampdonkey had the same question. We seem to have the same ideas about a jeep here recentley

Last edited by caleb; 10-14-2007 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:25 AM
JK Junkie

Great job McNinja - thanks for taking the time to post up and to take all those photos in-process. Good stuff!
Old 10-14-2007, 09:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
I have already noticed that it shows footprints quickly. They brush off pretty quick though. I don't know how I'll continue to deal with it.

On the plus side, I learned this week that the Seat Glovers/CoverKing seat covers work spectacularly, as I had the top off, and it rained into my Jeep, but my actual seat cushion remained dry under the neoprene.
Yes, this is precisely the problem I'm talking about. I just always felt it was a constant struggle to keep clean. Although, the carpet is the same scenario - just doesn't show dust/dirt that way.

Good to hear the neoprene held up - I need to get some of those as well.

Quick Reply: Line-X, or a bad way to spend a week (Warning for dial-up)