Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Local jeep service dept. can't find clunk noise underneath wrangler sport

Old 06-30-2017, 07:19 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by larryt
How about coming to Michigan with your torque wrench? I'd bet you could fix it.
If you were anywhere within an hour or two of DFW, i'd come help. Michigan is a little far.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's most likely the exhaust moving. It hangs under the jeep on rubber hangars. There are several points along the length where the exhaust pipes and the muffler run close to the body and frame. The knocking is easily replicated by having someone shake the (COLD) exhaust pipe from the rear.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrowniesJK
Sounds like driveline slop.
You may be right with driveline slop... While outside the jeep and in park a friend helped me rock it back and forth an there is a lot of movement ( more than other jeeps) and knocking sound in the gears. Back to the dealer it goes. I don't go off-road. What would cause this excessive wear?
Old 07-05-2017, 06:49 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

You may be right with driveline slop... While outside the jeep and in park a friend helped me rock it back and forth an there is a lot of movement ( more than other jeeps) and knocking sound in the gears. Back to the dealer it goes. I don't go off-road. What would cause this excessive wear?
That is probably just the backlash in the gears.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on clunking noise under frame

I've taken my 2014 jeep wrangler sport in 5 times now and the service department can't find the noise problem underneath. When I accelerate from an almost dead stop I hear a clunk under the frame. It wont do it every time but when I get it in the right position such as a hill after coming to a stop or nearly, then hit the gas I will hear it. The dealership service guy heard it but can't identify where it comes from.
I am going to another dealership to see if they can fix it. The milage is 94,000 still in the extended warranty. I contacted a lemon law lawyer and they want the service dept. paperwork since I may have a case. I just want it fixed but if it can't be repaired I will have to seek legal help.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Thanks for your support and advice.
Finally complained to BBB near Detroit and they contacted Chrysler, then to the dealership in Holland (Crown Motors) and set up a new appointment.

Today I jacked up the back end and had a friend crank the rear wheels back and forth. The clunking sound was coming from the transfer case and it seemed like way too much play. I don't know a lot about jeeps but this didn't look normal. I don't go off road just norma

Quick Reply: Local jeep service dept. can't find clunk noise underneath wrangler sport