Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

M.O.R.E. Hide-A-Step Install/ Review!

Old 02-12-2015, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M.O.R.E. Hide-A-Step Install/ Review!

Time for another quick install and review of a quick bolt-on mod! Mrs. Doc is preggers with number 2, and number 1 is still in a rear facing car seat. Combining that with the small lift and the high door sills of the JK, and it makes for a cranky wife when it comes time to travel in style (ie. NOT in her car).

So in order to keep the peace and keep my Rubi-Rails, I found the Mountain Off-Road Enterprises Hide-a-step. I ordered a pair of the black steps from Quadratec and put them on after work tonight! Here's the write-up.
Here's the tools you'll need; a 5mm allen wrench, a 10mm socket wrench, 13mm socket wrench, and appropriately sized ratcheting wrenches. I used a 1/4" and 1/2" because I'm too lazy to change sockets. BEWARE that if you're installing these without Rubi-rails, you'll need to use the included extra hardware. I didn't touch that junk, so I didn't verify the sizes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Tools_Required.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	596606

Here's the "what's in the box" shot. I haven't included directions, because who reads those anyways?!? (Read them, it'll save you some time.)

Name:	2 Whats_In_Box.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	596607

The step assembled with the quick connect pins

Name:	3 Assembled.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	596608

Starting the work, these are the bolts you'll need to loosen or remove. On my 2 door, there's 2 "sets" on each side. Loosen the front set, remove the bolt and 2 nuts on the set beneath the door. Rumor has it that the 4 door has 3 "sets". I can't verify this, but you'll need to loosen up the bolts and nuts that aren't getting a step.

Name:	4 Bolts_to_undo.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	596609

The easiest way to get the bracket in place is to pull the rail away from the body and pivot the bracket up from the back side. The bracket itself needs to sandwich in between the rail mount and the body.

Name:	5 Bracket_in_place.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	596610

(To be continued)
Old 02-12-2015, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Default Part 2

Take a look at the tab here. The hole for the studs is slotted, so it's entirely possible to put it too far forward or rearward, making it tough/ impossible to get one of the nuts on. Don't ask me how I know. Please.

Name:	6 Closeup_tab.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	596612

Another "learn as you go" lesson: Install one of the quick disconnect pins before you do the final tighten. Otherwise, you can get the whole thing put together and the pin won't go in because it hits the rail bracket. Again, don't ask.

Name:	7 Install_pin.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	596613

Speaking of close looks, take a gander at the way everything "stacks up". The spring-loaded bracket goes on the very bottom, then the rail bracket, then the attachment bracket for the hide-a-step.

Name:	8 Bolt_closeup.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	596614

The only "spare part" you'll end up with is the vertical bolt that formerly held the Rubi-rail in place. It gets replaced with a button head (5mm allen) bolt and fender washer. You'll need to slide the fender washer in between the spring-loaded bracket and the rail bracket. It sounds harder than it is.

Name:	9 Ready_to_tighten.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	596615

Basically done! The step is attached to the mount bracket with the two quick disconnect pins. You'll need to wiggle things around a bit to get the pins in, but they're pretty secure once they slide in.

Name:	10 Step_installed.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	596616

(Continued next post)
Old 02-12-2015, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Default Part 3/ Review

This is the step installed and "at rest". It's very unobtrusive, only sticking out about 3/4". It's just enough to get your foot in place.

Name:	12 Step_retracted.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	596618

Putting very light pressure with your foot drops the step to the extended height. It also extends outward, allowing a bigger foothold. I wear size 11.5 wide boots, and I can get about 2/3 of my foot onto the step.

Name:	13 Step_stepped_on.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	596619

The step drops your entry "step-up height" by 11.5", as measured from the top of the step to the top of the door sill. My JK isn't quite huge, so I can get in relatively unassisted. However, the step still allows me to get into the backseat easier and unhook the baby seat.

Name:	14 Entry_height.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	596620

Quick and Dirty Review:
I like these steps. They are a simple solution to a small problem. I love the look of the Rubicon Rails, and didn't want to ditch the rails for a traditional side step bar ("nerf bar"). I looked into the other options for folding steps like the Amp Research setup, and found them to be cost prohibitive. Quadratec lists the black Hide-A-Steps at $129, but you can find the plain steel finish at $117. A pair of these is almost the same cost as the N-Fab rock rails with steps, or other similar offerings, but as mentioned, I didn't want to go that route.

After install, I tried out the step to see how comfortable I'd be with the operation. Let me say this first: I'm a big guy. I'm 340lbs and 6ft tall. I punish step rails and similar products. I had called MORE prior to making this purchase to see if they had a weight rating or tests done, and was told of a 350lb technician they had who would jump on the step. When I tried putting my weight on one foot on the Hide-A-Step, I could feel it bending. The step still functions fine, so it couldn't have been too bad. Would I trust it for accessing a roof rack, or prolonged standing? No. Is it good enough for the occasional boost? Yeah, probably.

Bottom line: Would I recommend them to someone else? As long as you're either a smaller person (weight-wise) or understand the limitations of the product, yes.

Thanks for watching!
Old 02-13-2015, 03:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write-up.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These were the first mod I did when I bought my JKUR. First thing I did was "mod the mod". M.O.RE. Didn't sell it in black at the time so I had all the components powder coated to match the Rubi rails. Been on for 3.5 years and still work great. My wife and daughter use them all the time.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does any one know if these will work with the factory side steps? (The ones that come on the sport) and also would they work with the Smittybilt 76634 ?
Old 02-17-2015, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice write up, thx!
Old 02-19-2015, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

What happens with them when you actually use your RockRails to slide off something, aka a rock, stump, etc. ?
Old 02-19-2015, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Can they be used for backseat of a four door
Old 02-22-2015, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PET77
What happens with them when you actually use your RockRails to slide off something, aka a rock, stump, etc. ?
They remove with two QD pins.

Quick Reply: M.O.R.E. Hide-A-Step Install/ Review!