Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Manual Swaybar Disconnect (non-Rubicon models)

Old 04-09-2007, 02:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Manual Swaybar Disconnect (non-Rubicon models)

So, in another thread we got to discussing manually disconnecting the swaybar on stock, non-Rubi JK models. Since wayoflife was kind enough to help me do it the first time around, I figured I'd share that info with the rest of you that are still stock and looking to disco. It is super easy, shouldn't take more than 10 or 15 minutes and the articulation gained is well worth the time spent! Just make sure that you reconnect and tighten everything before you get back on the highway.

All you need is 2 wrenches for the bolts and 2 small bungee cords. I use a 3/8 drive ratchet with a 3/4 socket and an 8" adjustable wrench. I believe an 18mm wrench would replace the adjustable, if you have one on hand. Click on any of the pics for links to bigger versions.

1) Make sure you are on flat ground and have the Jeep sitting as level as possible. The more level the Jeep, the easier the bolts will be to get out.

2) Lie down under the Jeep and find your swaybar link. (PIC 1)

PIC 1:

3) Loosen and remove the bolt using the 2 wrenches. (PIC 2) The nut will come off easily, but the bolt will usually take some time and effort to completely remove, depending on how level the ground is. (WOL tip: If you are having issues, have someone bounce up and down on your bumper as you loosen the bolt, which will help it along.)

PIC 2:

4) Once the bolt is removed, stow it (along with the nut) someplace safe like the glovebox.

5) Rotate the sway bar link ball joint so that the link is pointing up and wrap a bungee cord around the neck. Then attach one end of the bungee cord to the top of the coil retainer cup (PIC 3) and the other to the area of the grill just behind the parking light. (PIC 4) This should secure your swaybar link so that it is upright and out of the way. (PIC 5)

PIC 3:

PIC 4:

PIC 5:

6) Repeat on the other side. The bolt on the 2nd side will be easier to remove, since you have already removed the first bolt and released the tension on the swaybar.

7) Enjoy your increased articulation!

Again, be sure to reconnect and tighten everything before you get back on pavement. I don't claim to be an expert, so feel free to offer additions or corrections-- and, of course, use this write-up at your own risk!
Old 04-09-2007, 02:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, Great write-up now it's all covered.....I think the Picture of your JK up on the Rock ends the story perfectly(Articulation + Level JEEP) looks great.
Disconnect at no cost
The following users liked this post:
22jt&hehe! (02-01-2022)
Old 04-09-2007, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the writeup

A noobie like me really needed this info. and not to many off roaders that I know of here in town
Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very informative and great clear pics of the process. Now I think I can handle this. Thanks for taking the time to do the write up.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:00 PM
JK Junkie

Sooooooooooooo. You bringing the wrenches on Thursday?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought I saw (somewhere) pins you can replace the bolts with, they secure with some sort of clip.....anybody else see these?

Great write up, thanks for the info!!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:28 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by John L
I thought I saw (somewhere) pins you can replace the bolts with, they secure with some sort of clip.....anybody else see these?

I think you are talking about wayoflife's write-up for homemade discos. The details are a tiny bit different, since the write-up is for a TJ, but the overall principal should work fine for a JK. Just make sure to read the note at the bottom of the write-up page about checking the pins for wear and replacing them as necessary.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:58 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by John L

most lift kits come with quick disconnects as well...
Old 04-10-2007, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

This should definitely be a Sticky...

Anyone one know the torque-specs for re-installing the Sway-Bars?

Also, some “Safety Advice”... Use safety glasses when working under the vehicle. I got smacked dead on the forehead by a small rock that fell from somewhere under the JK while installing my bumper this weekend. Ouch!
Old 04-10-2007, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doojer
I think you are talking about wayoflife's write-up for homemade discos. The details are a tiny bit different, since the write-up is for a TJ, but the overall principal should work fine for a JK. Just make sure to read the note at the bottom of the write-up page about checking the pins for wear and replacing them as necessary.
Yep, that was it.....I'm curious now, W.O.L. stated that he had a failure, was it a shear or tensile failure? Were the pins case hardened?

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Manual Swaybar Disconnect (non-Rubicon models)