Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Manual Transmission Soft Shift Mod

Old 02-09-2011, 06:21 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Manual Transmission Soft Shift Mod

Here's proof, that for a long time, I have not liked how stiff the spring rate is on the side to side shifter action. LINK

I've been playing around with transmissions and t-cases lately, so I thought I'd try to figure out a way to reduce or remove the side to side spring action on the shifter. The shift action is now nice and soft and it has a smoother feel to it. Here's how I did it. (this mod takes about an hour)

This write-up is to reduce the side to side action only. The front to rear action, spring assembly, under no circumstances, should be modified in any way.

Do this mod at your won risk. And KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. There are many things to be concerned with, when doing this mod. One imperative warning: When you remove the shifter assembly, MAKE SURE THAT IT's IN NEUTRAL. And when you re-install it, MAKE SURE THAT IT's IN NEUTRAL.

1. Pull the upper shifter boot off, by pulling straight up, on the back side of the bezel. The torx fasteners on the bezel are fake and do not do anything. The bezel is held on by spring clips.

2. Under the upper shifter boot, is a lower shifter boot. Remove it in the same manner.

3. Under the lower shifter boot, you should find some foam that keeps dust out of the cab. Note how it is placed and pull it out.

4. On the top of the shifter assembly, there are four T30 torx fasteners. Remove them and remove the shifter assembly.

5. Take the assembly to a work bench and check the side to side action and notice how there are two springs, that work to center the shifter, from side to side.

6. One is next to the spring that controls the front to back shifter action. Do not mess with either of the springs on this side. In the picture:
Blue arrow is the cam mechanism
Green arrow is one of the side to side springs (DO NOT REMOVE THIS SPRING)
Orange arrow, you can barely see the spring that controls the front to back shifter action. Again, do not disturb any parts on this side of the shifter assembly.

7. If you care to just try this out and are not certain that this is something that you want to do, then you can remove this spring using a flat tip screw drive and a pair of needle nose pliers. I chose to remove the press pin that holds the cam mechanism and spring in place, because I knew that this was something that I wanted to do. With a small punch and from the direction indicated by the red arrow, remove the cam mechanism pin. This will allow you to remove the spring, cam mechanism and pin.

The picture below, shows the assembly with these parts removed.

BTW, While doing work on my transmission and t-case, I installed the Teraflex 2 low kit. If your serious about crawling on the rocks and have your t-case out, it's a no brainer purchase. I'm looking forward to trying it out and I have plans to do a write-up on it.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! The shifter always annoys me whenever I go through bumps and what not.

Gonna try this this weekend! I need to lube up the linkage anyway
Old 02-18-2011, 12:52 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post install update.

I gotta say, given the amount of time that this took, this may be my new favorite mod.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Soft Shift Mod