Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

fixing stuck seatbelt

Old 10-09-2012, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default fixing stuck seatbelt

well after a weekend of wheeling with the doors off and the top down my passenger belt would not come out. when you pull on it, it would lock after a inch or so of movement. I took the whole seatbelt assembly out but i suggest you DONT NOT DO THIS. You can do this while everything is still in the jeep and you don't mess with the spring in there.

step 1. take off the cover that hides the lower section of the seatbelt
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0369.jpg
Views:	3159
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	376132

Name:	IMAG0370.jpg
Views:	3320
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	376133
step 2. now looking at the right side of the lower assembly (the side facing the back of the jeep). take a small flat head screw driver and pop off the plastic piece

Name:	IMAG0363.jpg
Views:	3447
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	376136
step 3. remove this small ball (in the squareish box) from the rest and this should be the problem. this ball kept the seatbelt locked because there was so much mud caked in there. i just sprayed it out with a compressor. try not to use wd40 or a lubricant because mud will get attracted to it.

Name:	IMAG0362.jpg
Views:	3167
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	376135

Name:	IMAG0364.jpg
Views:	2994
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	376138
step 4. once the ball is cleaned put everything back together and you should be good to go.

most of my picture will not upload. i have about 3 or 4 if you need me to send them to you just private message me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tonka_yellow:
RobertPWills (08-07-2023), threedsmax (09-04-2023)
Old 10-16-2012, 08:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The retractor was stuck. It's the piece that engages under heavy load that doesn't allow the belt to pay out, i.e. in the event of a collision, it keeps the belt tight before the tensioners fire. I've had one of these hang up in a regular passenger car. Short of taking the whole pillar apart to access the seatbelt assembly, what I did was literally, hang on the belt in a downward direction to get it to retract just a few more millimeters into the spool assembly, and success! That last click released it and the belt would pay out again by pulling on it.

Good writeup in case it does get perma-stuck. Sometimes banging on the assembly will get it to release, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that with the nice plastic trim that covers these assemblies.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My passenger sides stuck too, but I've never taken it off road, just need to find time to get it in to the dealer. But this write up will help if the dealer "can't replicate the problem"
Old 10-17-2012, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

Good write up. This is good to know, thanks for the info.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

This just happened to me today, as soon as I'm off work Ill try it! The dealer wants 700 to replace seatbelts. Ripoff.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Worked perfectly!
Old 06-12-2017, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This is a super easy fix!!

I checked with the dealer and it's $500 for parts alone to replace the seatbelt retractor. I followed your instructions, and fixed it myself! The only thing I'd add is to be careful of the little spring that comes loose. As long as you are mindful when taking the plastic off, it's no problem.
For me the problem wasn't mud buildup, but the "hat" on the ball just got stuck in place.

Thanks for saving me beaucoup bucks!!

Great write-up!
Old 01-14-2023, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thank you for your instructions!

This is my first time signing up for forums but I wanted to thank you for your posting. Even years later it’s helping people! I saved $1200 that the dealership wanted to charge me to replace my rear seatbelts just by following your instructions. I searched and searched for solutions even on YouTube and couldn’t find any help so thank you!

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow
well after a weekend of wheeling with the doors off and the top down my passenger belt would not come out. when you pull on it, it would lock after a inch or so of movement. I took the whole seatbelt assembly out but i suggest you DONT NOT DO THIS. You can do this while everything is still in the jeep and you don't mess with the spring in there.

step 1. take off the cover that hides the lower section of the seatbelt
Attachment 376132
Attachment 376133
step 2. now looking at the right side of the lower assembly (the side facing the back of the jeep). take a small flat head screw driver and pop off the plastic piece
Attachment 376136
step 3. remove this small ball (in the squareish box) from the rest and this should be the problem. this ball kept the seatbelt locked because there was so much mud caked in there. i just sprayed it out with a compressor. try not to use wd40 or a lubricant because mud will get attracted to it.
Attachment 376135
Attachment 376138
step 4. once the ball is cleaned put everything back together and you should be good to go.

most of my picture will not upload. i have about 3 or 4 if you need me to send them to you just private message me.
Old 01-14-2023, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 331 Posts

VecenteM Welcome to JKF.. Thanks for posting up your success!
Old 01-19-2023, 01:18 PM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Good info, my passanger side sticks too, makes my bride a little upset, which makes a trip not so good, I’ve not taken it apart yet, but is on my list before she takes a ride again

Quick Reply: fixing stuck seatbelt