Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Maximus-3 vs Rhino Rack

Old 02-26-2017, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maximus-3 vs Rhino Rack

Ok, so I'm pretty undecided on the 2 different rack systems. So, I would like your opinion / thoughts on why you preferred one over the other. From what I've read online and through forums, I have assessed the following, pro's / con's are all mixes in:

Maximus-3:
- 4 mounting points vs Rhino Racks 6 mounting points
- Rear mounting points attach to roll cage / sports bar
- You can run the rack without the hard top
- There are 2 rack sizes, 60" and 76"
- Limited feedback / online following; seems "less popular" than Rhino Rack
- Based on above comment, latest forum posts I found was in mid / late 2016

Rhino Rack:
- Gaining "popularity" for its innovation compared to other rack systems; lots of positive feedback
- Lots of accessories, but may also be attached to Maximus rack as a result of earlier co-development / collaboration
- Rear rack points are supported through tub frame / outline. US that better than roll cage?
- Only used wit hard top
- Only one rack size, 72"

From a price point, Rhino Rack are slightly more costly but Northridge4x4.com has 25% off sale which is making the comparison by cost pretty much dead even. Also, I believe that the overall high is also pretty dead even.

From my perspective, I'm looking to do more overland trips with the long term goal to buy a rooftop tent (RTT).

So, please enlighten me with you insights on why you chose one over the other.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2017, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the Maximum, AEV, and Rhino Rack Backbone all three use the same Pioneer Platform made by Rhino Rack. the AEV one has silver slats instead of black. AEV claims this makes a difference in the amount of interior heat (since the silver reflects sunlight). most of the accessories made by Rhino Rack should work on any of them.

the Maximus and AEV racks both use the exact same mounting brackets which tie into the factory roll-bar.

the Rhino Rack Backbone system has a different mounting system that bolts mainly to the hard-top except in the very back where there are some supports that surround the rear windows and bolt to the body in the same way the hard-top does.

IMO, the Maximus/AEV mounting looks both cleaner and sturdier than the Rhino Rack Backbone system.

you might also consider the Front-Runner rack. it's extremely sturdy and has lots of accessories available (awning mounts, jerry cans, etc.). it doesn't look quite as clean to me as the Maximus/AEV since it has the front down-tubes though.

i intend to get the longer Maximus in the next year hopefully.

Last edited by theksmith; 03-05-2017 at 07:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Maximus-3 vs Rhino Rack