Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

MBRP Roof Rack 4DR Install w/ Pictures

Old 12-12-2009, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MBRP Roof Rack 4DR Install w/ Pictures

Well, I ordered the rack before I found out they changed the bottom piece, but that being said decided to stick with the order anyway. It looses a lot of the aesthetics, but I still think it is a great rack.

The rack is rock solid & good finish. I've got one fitment issue where a bolt hole doesn't line up correctly and one installer issue where the drill-bit walked on me & the hole in the hard top is a bit off.

First you cut-out the templates and tape them to the sides of your hard top. This is the only place where the instruction fall a bit short. They don't show a photo of the templates on the jeep. Probably an important thing since you are about to drill into your precious hard top.

Next, drill the holes. The instruction call for a 1/16 inch pilot hole followed by a 3/8 inch hole. I found the size difference too large, and the drill bit walked on the second hole I ran. So, I drilled out the pilot to 3/16 inches, then 3/8 inches. I would recommend this as a change in the instructions.

You then loosely bolt the rack pieces on from drivers side to passenger side. It takes a bit of jiggling to get all the bolts to line-up with the interior brackets.

Tightening the bolts can be a bit tricky. The clearance wasn't enough for a standard hex wrench, so I had to cut the end off of this one to be able to back-up the socket wrench.

This top hole was not properly aligned & I couldn't get the bolt through no matter how much I tweaked & pulled. I think I will just go to a smaller bolt size since the bolt diameter doesn't seem to be critical at this connection.

And here's the final product. The black rack isn't overly obvious & the 2 inch tubes are very proportionate. The brackets on the cross-bars will make mounting and carrying various object east. I do wish they had not changed the ends, but I think now I might make a set of wheels that slip into the bottoms of the pipe for rolling around when it is off.

Last edited by YellowToy; 01-28-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-12-2009, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I second that...

I would like to see some pics of this...
Old 12-12-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

X3 on pics
Old 12-12-2009, 06:49 PM
JK Freak

??? Pics are showing up on my computer??? I'll try to fix it.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can see pictures. Looks nice.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:20 AM
JK Freak

I wanted to add... One of my concerns was wind noise.

Now that I have it installed, the noise is minimal, a low russelling, barely audible with the radio off.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:55 AM
JK Junkie

looks sick man! i can't wait till mine finally shows up!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:22 AM
JK Jedi

Looks awesome....this is by far my favorite hardtop rack. I just need to measure to see if my yakima box clamps will fit around the 2" bars or I will let MBRP figure out with smaller diameter tubing to fit the box.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

I'm not seeing pictures either...Thanks for the suggestions with the install. I'll pass these along to the design team.

Quick Reply: MBRP Roof Rack 4DR Install w/ Pictures