Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Mirror relocation on a 2012 with power mirrors.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirror relocation on a 2012 with power mirrors.

This is my write-up for relocating the side mirrors on a 2012 JK with electric mirrors to the body using the Rugged Ridge relo kit. Keep in mind that they are not electric anymore, but I have made it so they can go back together and be fully functional.

These are the six place power connectors I used. They are from radio shack. Part numbers 274-236 and 274-226. You will need two male, and two female connectors.

I did this with my doors off, but it would be easier to with doors on. But I already had my doors off and didn’t see any reason to put them back on just for this.

Start by removing the glass from the mirror assembly. Use a 90 degree pick to pull away the tabs as shown in the picture. Once you have two of them loose, it will come off easily.

There are two black wires attached with spade terminals for the heating element. These just pull right off. You may have to wiggle back and forth.

Cut the zip tie holding the wiring harness to the mount.

Go ahead and cut the wiring harness in just about the location that the zip tie was.

Remove the t40 bolt holding the mirror on the mount and remove the mirror by lifting up. The wires should slide right out if you got the zip tie out of the way.

Remove the two t40 bolts from the inside of the door holding the mirror mount and pull it off and set aside.

Have an adult help you cut the wire conduit back 2 or 3 inches exposing the 5 wires.

Strip the insulation back 3/16” to ¼’

Crimp on the terminals from one of the female connectors.

Slide the terminals into the back of the power connector. Push firmly until you feel it click. Make note of what wires went where.

You can stick the new connector in one of the other holes so that it doesn’t fall back into the door.

Install the blank supplied with the rugged ridge kit using the 2 original t40 bolts

Remove the 3 t20 screws holding the mechanism in place inside the mirror housing. Remove the mechanism.

Using the utility knife, trim back the conduit a couple of inches.

Strip the insulation 3/16” to ¼”.

Crimp on the terminals from one of the male connectors

Slide the terminals into the connector until they click. Make sure you install the wires in the same openings as you did on the door side of the connection.

I used electrical tape to tape up the connector to keep water out of it since it won’t be used.

Reinstall the mechanism into the housing using the 3 t20 torx screws. Tuck the connector out of the way.

Hook the wires back up to the back of the glass for the heating element. Then snap the glass into place.

Wipe your grubby fingerprints off of the mirror. No one wants to see that.

Remove the 2 t40 torx bolts from the bottom of the windshield bracket.

Install the new mirror mount from the Rugged Ridge kit using the two t40 bolts removed in the previous step.

Install the mirror on the mount using the original t40 torx bolt.

Repeat for the other side.

Stand back and admire your work.

If you ever want to go back to having the mirrors on the doors, just move them back using the stock hardware and plug them in.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Holy sh*t you put a lot of effort into this. Nice job!
Old 03-13-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome job!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rich1340

Have an adult help you cut the wire conduit back 2 or 3 inches exposing the 5 wires.
Thank you very much for showing us how to do this. Very good Info. Do you have any ideas where I can find an adult to help me?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default Relocate Mirror's

What a great explanation of a how too problem. I wish everyone explained and showed their work being done with photo's, thumbs up! This is exactly what I'm going to have to do when I take off my door's, I bought door hangers from krawl for my 2dr Rubicon. I recommend them to everyone who wants too remove or would like to remove their door weather it be 2dr's or 4dr's you won't be sorry you got you a pair.

Last edited by wayoflife; 03-15-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

great write-up, makes me wonder about the possibility of making an extension wire to run so that mirror functionality is kept. still waiting on my jeep to finish being built but definitely will look at doing this when I get it.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good... too bad I already bought American Outlaw Mirrors. They work great but I like what you did. It has more of a factory look.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good, I'm going to do something similar because I have the Rancho Tube Doors and need to be able to swap the mirrors to them.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome writeup with great detail. I wish I took the doors off more often to justify doing this. Damn apt living
Old 04-04-2014, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks man. This is exactly what I needed!

Quick Reply: Mirror relocation on a 2012 with power mirrors.