JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Write-Ups (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/)
-   -   My DIY Cargo Net (550/paracord) (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/my-diy-cargo-net-550-paracord-241765/)

Wood82ABN 07-26-2012 02:49 PM

My DIY Cargo Net (550/paracord)

5 Attachment(s)
Well, I have received quite a few compliments on my version of a DIY cargo net. I thought I would offer a write-up on it.

Parts:

Roughly 400 ft of 550 cord (paracord)
8 – 5/16 D rings
Scissors
Lighter
Approx. 4 hours of time

First you have to tie two anchor points to your jeep. These are the only two anchor points that will remain on the jeep at all times. Other than these two, my version of the cargo net is completely removable in two minutes ☺

Then you have to frame out your net. Start with the top portion, then do the back windows, then the base. My photos should provide a better idea of what to do. The top piece will have one D-ring per side. The “windows will have 2 d-rings per side. One for the door section and one for the interior section. The rear window will have two as well. Both will attach to the hooks near the tailgate.

Attachment 345924 Attachment 345925 Attachment 345926

Attachment 345927 Attachment 345928

For the window portions I used 4 – 15 foot length of cord per window. I use a prussic knot at the top and work my way down from there, using a generic knot to tie the cord creating a small square.

Wood82ABN 07-26-2012 02:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
These photos show how the inside of the "windows" are secured.

Attachment 345938 Attachment 345940

For the rear portion, I used 7 – 25 foot lengths of cord, evenly spaced apart. I used the same know tying technique as the windows. When I got to the bottom, I used two half hitches per cord to secure it to the bottom line.

Attachment 345934 Attachment 345936 Attachment 345937

Wood82ABN 07-26-2012 02:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The D-rings for the back can be detached and attached onto the net to allow your animals to jump in the jeep or to make way for groceries :thinking:

Attachment 345942 Attachment 345943

This cargo net has yet to fail me. My dogs have never jumped out of the back because of this net. If you have kids... they would not be able to jump out of this net.

Attachment 345944 Attachment 345947 Attachment 345948

Let me know if you have any questions/comments on this version of a DIY Cargo Net. Give yourself a lot of time and be patient :)

Power Hungry 07-27-2012 08:06 AM

Very nice. Not quite the look I would prefer, but still very effective. I might try some sort of DIY cargo netting but I want fat black strips of nylon.

Wood82ABN 07-27-2012 10:36 AM

I would have liked the same thing but i can't sew and didn't want to spend the money on that. They are a bit pricey especially when i would need the rail system as well.

cosmokramer 07-27-2012 10:42 AM

Great write up. I'll have to look up that knot, but otherwise sounds like a good DIY project. Appreciate the effort of sharing. I have 3 medium/small dogs, and I thjnk this will work out well. I am about to put in my half doors, and will probably work in covering the top half so the dogs don't jump out there.
Did you just get the para cord from an army surplus store or did you order online?

Wood82ABN 07-27-2012 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by cosmokramer
Great write up. I'll have to look up that knot, but otherwise sounds like a good DIY project. Appreciate the effort of sharing. I have 3 medium/small dogs, and I thjnk this will work out well. I am about to put in my half doors, and will probably work in covering the top half so the dogs don't jump out there.
Did you just get the para cord from an army surplus store or did you order online?

I bought the cord online, in a thousand foot spool :)

JK Mikey 07-27-2012 11:35 AM

Great write up :thumbsup: I like this for that fact that with the paracord its not going to block your vision like the thick banded cargo nets you see often and still just as strong. Also in a pinch you have a Sh*t load of paracord on hand for emergencies...Im going to do this when I get some free time. :beer:

Wood82ABN 07-27-2012 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by JK Mikey
Great write up :thumbsup: I like this for that fact that with the paracord its not going to block your vision like the thick banded cargo nets you see often and still just as strong. Also in a pinch you have a Sh*t load of paracord on hand for emergencies...Im going to do this when I get some free time. :beer:

Post pictures when you're done. Save yourself about four hours.

scott franklin 08-01-2012 10:29 AM

Nice write up!:thumbsup: You have a nice looking Jeep, cool looking cargo net and some good lookin' pooches as well thanks for the info on this as well as the info. on the sun shade top on that other thread with all the bitchin... Some very useful info. if you can wade thru the other BS over there. Thanks again.:beer: