Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My Hard Rock 10A rear bumper install on a 2009 JKU Sahara

Old 09-06-2017, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I don't have any air tools as well.

I'll be using this HF drill....no batteries to worry about and I can lock the trigger and lean into it a little easier with the handles on it.
https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...ill-63114.html
Old 09-06-2017, 03:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I don't have any air tools as well.

I'll be using this HF drill....no batteries to worry about and I can lock the trigger and lean into it a little easier with the handles on it.
https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...ill-63114.html
Good luck! I wish I would have bought this instead of using my cordless drill.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SF_E60
Good luck! I wish I would have bought this instead of using my cordless drill.
Install is complete. Actually, drilling the holes for the passenger side tow hook wasn't that difficult. I had a much harder time drilling screw mounting holes in those frame rails for my air compressor mounting previously because I had to use a much smaller drill bit. For these holes, I used a 1/4" metal drill bit to make pilot holes, and then followed that with a step bit to get a 3/4" diameter hole. Honestly, they went through the frame rails like a hot knife through butter using the larger bits and that HF hand drill I linked previously. It took me less than 5 minutes to drill those holes and this is coming from the guy who can turn a 40 min install into a week long project.

Now it's time to post the pics and finish writing this up.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Install is complete. Actually, drilling the holes for the passenger side tow hook wasn't that difficult. I had a much harder time drilling screw mounting holes in those frame rails for my air compressor mounting previously because I had to use a much smaller drill bit. For these holes, I used a 1/4" metal drill bit to make pilot holes, and then followed that with a step bit to get a 3/4" diameter hole. Honestly, they went through the frame rails like a hot knife through butter using the larger bits and that HF hand drill I linked previously. It took me less than 5 minutes to drill those holes and this is coming from the guy who can turn a 40 min install into a week long project.

Now it's time to post the pics and finish writing this up.
Great writeup looks like the drilling was a breezy for you. Granted with the right tools it should have gone the same for me. I see you opted to not install the bumper ends as well. I took mine off and SOLD them on craigslist for $50 I can't believe someone was actually looking for them
Old 09-12-2017, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SF_E60
I see you opted to not install the bumper ends as well. I took mine off and SOLD them on craigslist for $50 I can't believe someone was actually looking for them
Actually look closer. They're on there. They came pre-installed on the bumper and I installed it as it came assembled.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, finished writing it up.

Here's the list of items I ended up doing and how I turned my simple bumper install into a 1 week long project.
- Rust treated and Repainted rear frame rails, receiver hitch, 7 way trailer electrical connector and bracket.
- Added/modded passenger side tow hook mounting and mounted tow hook.
- Replaced driver side tow hook
- Ordered and waited on 4 bumper mounting bolts (6510998AA)
- Ordered and waited on passenger side tow hook striker mounting plate (68186540AB)
- Converted driver side tow hook, into a passenger side tow hook.
- Re-adjusted the TF rear tire carrier.
- Re-adjusted the TF rear brake light relocation bracket.
- Replaced rusted TF carrier/BL extension rusted mounting bolts.
- Repaint, Touch up the TF tire carrier and BL extension bracket.
- Took some time taking pictures for this write-up since I had to wait on a couple parts to arrive.
- Almost forgot.....I then installed the bumper.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Thanks for posting. I'm about to install using my existing Mopar hitch. Looks like there's grinding in my future...
Old 07-09-2020, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of drilling on your 2007 JK for driver or passenger side tow hooks, you can buy the European "tow eye" instead.

The Tow Eye is part # 52060284AD and/or 52060284AB - Wal Mart sales them: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jeep-CHRY...84AD/106577587

These Tow Eyes should work with all JK's and be especially helpful to the early model years 2007 and 2008, that do not have holes drilled in frame for rear tow hook on either side. They appear to also work with the 10th anniversary Rubicon steel rear bumper as well.

Here is video of what these tow eyes look like installed.

Last edited by Marc M; 07-09-2020 at 11:19 AM. Reason: to add

Quick Reply: My Hard Rock 10A rear bumper install on a 2009 JKU Sahara