Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My waterproof cargo cover build.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattk11
Hey Dave, impressive engineering job on this, What do you plan to do with the wood to make it waterproof?
Hey Matt, 2 coats of primer epoxy ( epoxy cut with Xylene) to seal, one good coat of 100 % epoxy, then Raptor Liner to match the interior.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ~Josh
This is very cool.
Any idea as to what the total weight gain is going to be when it's completed?
Hey Josh, sorry I just noticed this. I am guessing about 50 lbs of wood, so maybe 60-65 lbs by the time everything is in and mounted. Now, once the amplifier/ component rack and its box goes in I will be over 100 lbs added. The winch going on the front should balance that out....
Old 04-26-2014, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

This is awesome! Any updates on how it came out?
Old 04-26-2014, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SmokeShowin
This is awesome! Any updates on how it came out?
Unfortunately, its in exactly the same state it was when I posted last. My company has been extremely busy and I haven't had time to finish it yet. Every time I think I am going to be able to get out to the shop for a few days, I land another bid. Usually I only work 1 to 2 weeks a month during the Spring and take most of the summer off with my kids, but we are booked 7 weeks out still and more coming in. Not complaining, but the Jeep projects are stacking up AND I had to miss Jeep Beach!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for sharing your project, it is SWEET!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:10 AM
JK Freak

Great job, excellent engineering, very impressive well done.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKJA10
Great job, excellent engineering, very impressive well done.
Wow! Thanks guys. I have been working out this design in my head since early 2007. Every time I went out sailing or went to a boat show, I looked at their hatches with this project in mind...
Old 07-03-2014, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Davesrb. I just read through your stereo upgrade thread and this thread. Very impressive stuff your making! My next two projects are going to be a rear seat sub box and a trunk cover. Really curious how you molded the sub box under the seats. I have C-10s so I need at least 1 cu. ft. of airspace on each so the mold I make will have to be really accurate around the hinges and edges of the seat. I noticed you took the front brackets out of the box too, any supports inside the box? Also I think your waterproof trunk cover convinced me to place my amps and equalizer in my trunk (once I make the cover). Thanks in advance! Everything your making/made looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2014, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you feel like reading through my rambling thread where I was deciding what to do, about page 4 there is some subwoofer box buildout info. Let me know if you need any more info.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...-style-279806/

I did not give it much extra bracing and i must have had one dimension a little off, because I got a stress crack on the passengers side forward edge. Repaired fine but if I was doing another one I would put additional corner bracing in the front corners.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, ill be sure to make sure to add a lot of corner braces. My main concern is just the weight of my occupants sitting on the box without breaking it and keeping them safe without the stock underseat braces there... Also, did you just split the box down the middle seat or do you have both subs occupying the same airspace as eachother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: My waterproof cargo cover build.